Good morning! Here is the tech news you need to know this Wednesday.
1. Dara Khosrowshahi, the CEO of Expedia, is officially Uber’s new CEO. “I am excited to welcome Dara Khosrowshahi as Uber’s next CEO,” Uber founder Travis Kalanick said in a statement on Tuesday.
2. YouTube just made the biggest change to its logo in history. The company’s iconic logo is getting a refresh, with the focus shifting away from the word “Tube” onto the play button for the first time.
3. Peter Thiel is backing Berlin “InsurTech” startup Coya in a $10 million round. The investment is one of the biggest seed funding rounds in Germany.
4. The CEO of luxury fashion site Farfetch said an IPO is “the next logical stage”. A Sky News report in June suggested Farfetch was close to picking bankers to underwrite a $5 billion (£3.85 billion) IPO in New York.
5. Burger King has launched its own digital currency called “WhopperCoin”. It can be used to buy Whopper sandwiches.
6. Uber is pulling a heavily criticised feature from its app that allowed it to track riders for up to five minutes after a trip. The taxi app is trying to fix its poor reputation for customer privacy.
7. Augmented reality startup Magic Leap has designed a new set of smartglasses. The glasses emerged in a patent application.
8. Researchers have taught AI to write totally believable fake reviews. The implications are terrifying.
9. Apple is talking to movie studios about offering high-definition 4K movies through iTunes. But there’s one sticking point: price.
10. Domino’s and Ford Motor Company announced that they are testing out self-driving cars as pizza delivery vehicles. In the coming weeks, Domino’s will offer randomly selected customers in Ann Arbor, Michigan, the option to receive their pizza delivery from a Ford Fusion Hybrid autonomous research vehicle.