Police have shot dead the main suspect in the Barcelona attack, who they believe killed 13 people by driving a van into crowds on Las Ramblas on Thursday.
Officers killed Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, around 4 p.m. local time (CEST) on Monday afternoon in the Spanish town of Subirats, 20 miles west of Barcelona.
Earlier that day the Mossos d’Esquadra police force named Abouyaaqoub as their prime suspect, and said he was the man behind the wheel in Thursday’s attack.
He was described as “dangerous” and police warned that he could be armed.
- Mossos d’Esquadra
Officers said Abouyaaqoub appeared to be wearing an explosive belt when he was killed. A later police tweet said bomb experts were using a robot to dispose of the device.
They later confirmed his identity:
— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017
Abouyaaqoub is the sixth man killed in the Barcelona counter-terror operation. Five were shot dead by police in Cambrils on Thursday night. They were wearing devices which looked like suicide vest, but turned out to be fake.
The van attack in Barcelona killed 13 of the 15 victims in a string of linked terror attacks on Thursday. Police have said that another death, of a man stabbed in the back of a car, was also linked to the attacks.
The second incident in Cambrils also led to one victim dying of her wounds on Friday morning, bringing the final toll to 15.
- Business Insider/Google Maps