- Getty Images
A Spanish mixed martial artist believes a date in September has been reserved to host the highly-anticipated super-fight between UFC star Conor McGregor and boxing legend Floyd Mayweather.
“The big news that I want to tell you is that the fight between McGregor and Mayweather has a date,” Abner ‘Skullman’ Lloveras told Gol TV’s ‘La Hora de la UFC’ programme.
“It will be in September,” Lloveras said.
Lloveras, a lightweight with a Muay Thai base fighting style, is well-placed to discuss the protracted negotiations between McGregor and Mayweather.
The 34-year-old is reportedly a close colleague of McGregor’s and was on Team McGregor throughout the 22nd season of The Ultimate Fighter, a combat sports reality TV show.
Broadcasting networks would have been warm for a September date as the closest weekend to Mexican Independance Day is typically a hot boxing ticket.
However, popular Mexican fighter Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and unbeaten middleweight king Gennady Golovkin are scheduled to box on September 16, thereby scuppering the UFC’s plans to host a McGregor and Mayweather event on that date.
“We just lost our date to Canelo and GGG [Golovkin],” UFC president Dana White told Fight Hub TV last month.
Lloveras may be implying that the UFC and Team Mayweather have settled on an alternative date in September.
Early September may prove difficult to book as that only leaves three months to promote and organise the event, while the UFC already have a ‘Fight Night’ show scheduled for September 23.
There are no major boxing nights or MMA events on September 30, though, which could be the date Lloveras had in mind for McGregor v Mayweather.