- foto-select / Shutterstock
- Hamburg, Germany has been named the best night out in the world in a major study by Hostelworld.
- It was named the most welcoming city to tourists, the best place to meet new people, and the easiest to get around on public transport.
- Copenhagen, Berlin, and Dublin also ranked highly on the list.
Hamburg, Germany has been named the best night out in the world.
That’s according to a major study from hostel-booking platform Hostelworld, which looked at how residents of 41 cities in 27 countries around the world rate the nightlife in their hometowns.
The company interviewed 4,100 city-dwellers around the world, asking them questions about the following five categories:
- The quality of the nightlife (including variety of things to do and general enjoyment).
- Openness and friendliness of the locals (including how welcoming they are to tourists and how easy it is to meet people).
- How safe people feel.
- How easy it is to get around.
- The cost.
Hamburg came out on top thanks to being the most welcoming city to tourists, the best place to meet new people, and the ease of getting around thanks to excellent public transport and proximity of key destinations to each other.
- urbazon / Shutterstock
It was followed closely by Copenhagen, which ranked highly for safety and quality of nightlife thanks to the availability of activities and “general enjoyment,” but was knocked down for being the most expensive.
Cost-effective Berlin, and Dublin, famed for its nightlife, also ranked highly.
Meanwhile, many cities that come to mind when thinking about big nights out scored surprisingly poorly.
Unaffordable London came 26th, with Rome (hard to get around), and Tokyo (hard to get around, poor nightlife, expensive) ranking 39th and 41st respectively.
Here are the 10 best cities in the world for a night out:
- Hamburg, Germany
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Berlin, Germany
- Dublin, Ireland
- Amsterdam, Holland
- San Francisco, United States
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Warsaw, Poland
- New York, United States
“The results of this study have been fascinating, especially the performance of smaller cities – most notably with Hamburg taking top spot over Berlin,” said Marek Mossakowski, Global Head of Brand at Hostelworld.
“We know young travellers are increasingly venturing off the beaten track to uncover unique experiences, and this study demonstrates this.”