- Thomson Reuters
- Kevin Spacey was artistic director of The Old Vic theatre until 2015.
- After first allegations emerged, the theatre opened an investigation.
- It says 20 people have now told them of “inappropriate behaviour.”
- The allegations cover the years 1995 to 2013.
- The Old Vic said most people stayed quiet from fear of Spacey’s stardom.
The powerhouse London theatre which used to proudly boast of having Kevin Spacey as its Artistic Director has said that 20 people have now come forward to accuse him of inappropriate behaviour in and around its premises.
The Old Vic – one of London’s most prestigious venues – mounted an investigation into Spacey’s behaviour after numerous people claimed that Spacey had made unwanted advances on them in the past.
That investigation reported back on Thursday, and said that it had gathered 20 claims against Spacey dating from 1995 to 2013.
Most of the complainants have only just come forward, the theatre said, largely because they were intimidated by Spacey’s “stardom and status at The Old Vic.”
Spacey was The Old Vic’s Artistic Director from 2004 to 2015, during which time the theatre said it “was in a unique position of having a Hollywood star at the helm around whom existed a cult of personality.”
It continued: “The investigation found that his stardom and status at The Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help.”
Staff who witnessed the behaviour also said they were “unclear about how to respond” and “did not feel confident that The Old Vic would take those allegations seriously given who he was,” the theatre said.
The theatre said 18 of the allegations relate to the time period 1993-2009, while two date from 2009-2013. It said none of the accusers were minors at the time of the alleged incidents.
The release did not go into detail about the claims, other than to say they spanned “a range” of inappropriate behaviour. It said it had not independently verified any of them.
According to Spacey’s website, the American actor had visited the theatre multiple times before performing there for the first time in 1998. During that time he was asked to join a committee to help the theatre’s trust board.
- Toby Melville/Reuters
At least sixteen people – including eight current and former employees of Netflix’s “House of Cards” – have accused Spacey of sexual harassment or assault over the past three weeks.
London police also opened an investigation into Spacey earlier this month after receiving an allegation of sexual assault linked to the actor.
Nick Clarry, the chairman of The Old Vic, said: “On behalf of The Old Vic Board of Trustees, to all those people who felt unable to speak up at the time, The Old Vic truly apologises. Inappropriate behaviour by anyone working at The Old Vic is completely unacceptable.”
Matthew Warchus, Spacey’s successor as Artistic Director, added: “These allegations have been a shock and a disturbing surprise to many of us.
“It is incorrect, unfair and irresponsible to say that everybody knew. But as a result of the investigation, what we have learnt is how better to call out this behaviour in future.”
Spacey’s representatives told Business Insider earlier this month: “Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time.”