- Facebook/Tom Cadman
Spanish police have denied reports in local press that dual national British child Julian Cadman has been found alive in hospital following Thursday’s terror attack.
Spanish media, including El Pais, reported that Cadman – who is also an Australian national – was “admitted to a hospital in Barcelona” and police always knew his whereabouts.
Seven-year-old Cadman has become one of the key stories of the Barcelona attack and reports he had been found were picked up by British media, including The Guardian and The Independent.
But police moved quickly to deny the claims. In a tweet shortly after the news surfaced in Spain, Catalan police said: “Neither we were searching nor we have found any lost child in the Barcelona attack.”
The British Foreign Office echoed this, according to The Guardian, which updated its story on Cadman after initially reporting that the child had been located.
- El Pais
Cadman was on Las Ramblas when a van hurtled along the tourist drag hitting pedestrians. Thirteen people were killed in Thursday’s atrocity, while more than 100 were injured.
The seven-year-old, who has been pictured wearing a uniform from a British nursery school, was separated from his mother during the incident. Julian’s grandfather, Tony Cadman, said the boy’s mother has been located in hospital but the family is desperate for more information.
Prime Minister Theresa May said on Friday that British authorities are urgently searching for a child following the Barcelona attack, but did not name Cadman. She said:
“This morning I spoke with Mariano Rajoy, the Spanish prime minister, to offer my deepest condolences after the terrible attack that took place in Barcelona and the UK stands shoulder to shoulder with Spain in confronting and dealing with the evil of terrorism and I have offered any assistance that we can provide.
“Sadly I must tell you that we do believe that a number of British nationals were caught up in the attack and we’re urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing who is a British dual national.
“The Foreign Office is offering consular assistance to those who were involved in the attack and their families and are working urgently to see if there are others who need their help.
“But we must work together if we are to confront this evil of terrorism and also to confront and deal with the perverted extremist ideology which drives it, ridding the internet of poisonous material and ensuring that our police and security services have the powers that they need. Terrorism is the great threat that we all face but together we will defeat it.”