- Forbes released its annual 2017 World’s 100 Most Powerful Women list. The rankings are based on money, media presence, influence, and impact. Melinda Gates is the most powerful American woman to make the list.
Angela Merkel is still the most powerful woman in the world.
The German Chancellor has held the top spot on the Forbes Most Powerful Women List for seven consecutive years, and 12 years in total. Another prominent political leader, UK Prime Minister Theresa May, ranked second. It is her first time appearing on Forbes’ annual list.
Melinda Gates, co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, is the highest-ranking American woman, taking the third spot. Six of the top nine most powerful women in the world are American, according to the Forbes list.
Forbes determines its ranking by evaluating four categories: money – which covers net worth, company revenues, assets under management, or GDP – media presence, influence, and impact.
Of the 100 women on the list, nearly half are from the United States. Ivanka Trump, senior adviser to and daughter of President Donald Trump, made the list for the first time, debuting at 19. Democratic candidate in the 2016 US presidential election, Hilary Clinton, dropped 63 spots, from second to 65.
Scroll through to see the nine most powerful women in the world right now.
9. Ana Patricia Botín: Chair, Santander Group, Banco Santander, Spain
- Juan Manuel Serrano Arce
8. Christine Lagarde: Managing Director, International Monetary Fund, US
- Adam Berry/Getty Images
7. Abigail Johnson: CEO, Fidelity Investments, US
- Brian Snyder/Reuters
6. Susan Wojcicki: CEO, YouTube, US
- Steve Jennings/Getty Images for TechCrunch
5. Mary Barra: CEO, General Motors, US
- Jamie McCarthy/Getty
4. Sheryl Sandberg: COO, Facebook, US
- Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images
3. Melinda Gates: Co-Chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, US
- Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
2. Theresa May: Prime Minister, UK
- Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images
1. Angela Merkel: Chancellor, Germany