- REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
- Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, the suspect in the New York terror attack used to drive for Uber. Saipo recorded more than 1,400 Uber trips over the course of six months. Uber banned Saipov from the app for reasons that the ride-hailing company did not disclose.
Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, the 29-year old suspect taken into police custody after a deadly truck attack in New York City, was previously an Uber driver, the ride-hailing company confirmed in a statement to Business Insider on Tuesday.
“We are horrified by this senseless act of violence. Our hearts are with the victims and their families. We have reached out to law enforcement to provide our full assistance,” the statement read.
Saipov worked as an Uber driver for more than six months and recorded more than 1,400 trips for the service, an Uber spokesperson said. Saipov was subsequently banned from the app.
The company is now aggressively reviewing Saipov’s Uber history, but had not found any concerning safety reports, so far. Uber did not immediately specify why Saipov was banned from the service. According to a CBS News report, Saipov has received four previous traffic violations.
The company’s US community guidelines lists a number of reasons why drivers may lose access to its platform. These include consistently receiving poor ratings, damaging passengers’ property, physical contact with riders, inappropriate or abusive language, unwanted contact with a passenger after the ride is complete or breaking local laws while acting as an Uber driver.
Saipov passed Uber’s background check that screens out drivers with felony convictions and those who have more than three minor traffic violations in the last three years. The check also requires drivers to have held US licenses for more than a year.
Uber says it is cooperating with the FBI as the investigation continues.