Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital with an infection

caption
Prince Philip.
source
Jeff Spicer / Getty

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, was admitted to hospital on Tuesday evening with an infection.

Buckingham Palace said it was a “precautionary measure” and that the infection came from a pre-existing condition.

According to The Telegraph, a statement from the Palace said: “The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London last night, as a precautionary measure, for treatment of an infection arising from a pre-existing condition.”

The statement was released shortly before the Queen’s Speech was due to take place at the State Opening of Parliament on Wednesday. Prince Philip would have attended, but his son Prince Charles will go in his place.

“Prince Philip is in good spirits and is disappointed to be missing the State Opening of Parliament and Royal Ascot. The Prince of Wales will accompany The Queen to the State Opening,” the statement continued.

“Her Majesty is being kept informed and will attend Royal Ascot as planned this afternoon.”

The news comes after Buckingham Palace announced last month that the 96-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was retiring from public life. From August this year, he will “no longer carry out public engagements” and “will not be accepting new invitations.”

More follows.