Samsung says it will issue a software update to remaining Galaxy Note 7 phones that causes the devices to stop working. The software update will start rolling out on December 19.
The move, which was announced Friday, comes months after the company decided to stop making the phone amid reports that it might overheat and explode. Samsung issued a recall for the Note 7, but not all of them have been returned.
The software update will prevent the Note 7 battery from charging and effectively turn the phone into a brick.
However, not all carriers will be pushing the update. Verizon says it will not force customers to download the Note 7 update because they might not have access to a backup device.
Although Samsung says 93% of Note 7 owners have returned their devices, there are clearly a significant number of holdouts. If you still have a Note 7, you can return or exchange it.
Here’s the full statement from Samsung:
Consumer safety remains our highest priority and we’ve had overwhelming participation in the U.S. Note7 Refund and Exchange Program so far, with more than 93 percent of all recalled Galaxy Note7 devices returned. To further increase participation, a software update will be released starting on December 19th and will be distributed within 30 days. This software update will prevent U.S. Galaxy Note7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices. Together with our carrier partners, we will be notifying consumers through multiple touchpoints to encourage any remaining Galaxy Note7 owners to participate in the program and to take advantage of the financial incentives available. Anyone who has not yet returned their device should immediately power it down and contact their carrier to obtain a refund or exchange, or visit our website at Samsung.com/us/note7recall for more information.