In his first interview since suspending his presidential campaign, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas said Tuesday that he wouldn’t be endorsing Donald Trump – yet. And he might even consider resuming his campaign if he sees a “path to victory,” though he’s not holding his breath.
Cruz, who suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination last week after a crushing loss in the must-win Indiana primary, said there was still plenty of time for him to make a decision on whom he would vote for and support.
“I would note this isn’t a choice we have to make today,” he told conservative radio host Glenn Beck, who was one of Cruz’s most prominent campaign-trail supporters.
Cruz noted that there were still months before the July convention and the November general election.
“I think we need to watch and see what the candidates do,” he said.
Cruz was pressed by Beck on whether he would consider rejoining the race if he saw a path to victory – for example, if he were to win Tuesday’s Republican primary in Nebraska.
“Well, I am not holding my breath,” Cruz said. “My assumption is that will not happen. But listen, let’s be very clear – if there is a path to victory, we launched this campaign intending to win. The reason we suspended the race last week is with Indiana’s loss, I didn’t see a viable path to victory. If that changes, we will certainly respond accordingly.”
“I take that as a big yes,” Beck said, urging voters to cast ballots for Cruz in Nebraska.
The Texas senator also downplayed the possibility of a third-party conservative candidate being able to win in November – an idea that some prominent conservative leaders and activists have floated since Trump all but sealed the GOP nomination.
And Cruz blamed “network executives” for the rise of Trump on his way to the nomination. He didn’t attribute Trump’s success to any sentiment within the Republican base.
“Well, listen, there is no doubt the power of celebrity,” Cruz said. “It was been a phenomenon heavily fueled by media executives. And that is one of a kind.”