- Reuters Pictures
Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Thursday.
1. 17 people were killed in a shooting at a Florida high school. The shooting began on Wednesday afternoon and the suspect, who has been identified as former student Nikolas Cruz, is in custody.
3. Last year, US President Donald Trump asked White House counsel to persuade then-FBI director James Comey to exonerate him. The revelation adds another piece of evidence to the obstruction-of-justice case the special counsel is building against the president.
4. UK opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn allegedly met with a communist spy during the Cold War. Corbyn reportedly met with an intelligence operative from then-Soviet Czechoslovakia multiple times.
5. Over 10,000 private Twitter messages from WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange were leaked. They cover a host of issues from 2016 Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton to Russian geopolitics.
6. Morgan Tsvangirai, Zimbabwe’s veteran opposition leader, died at 65. It was reported last week the political rival of former Prime Minister Robert Mugabe was in hospital and critically ill.
7. Amazon has increased its lobbying spending by 400% in five years. The Washington DC area is also seen as one of the frontrunners in the battle for Amazon’s HQ2 project.
8. Elon Musk’s SpaceX will launch the first of 11,925 internet satellites this weekend. In the coming years, the company hopes to launch interlinked broadband-internet satellites into orbit to deliver high-speed internet access.
9. Australian Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce will take a week’s leave amid pressure over an affair. A Liberal Senator will be Acting Prime Minister while Malcolm Turnbull visits the US on a goodwill trip next week.