- KCNA via REUTERS
Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Friday.
1. South Korea announced an unprecedented invitation for US President Donald Trump to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Trump accepted the invite, potentially setting up what would be the first-ever meeting between an American president and a North Korean leader.
2. Kim Jong Un agrees to “refrain” from missile tests as a condition of the talks. South Korea claimed that President Trump’s “maximum-pressure policy” helped bring North Korea to the table.
4. Russia may have broken a spy game rule if they were behind the poisoning of ex-agent Sergei Skripal. Former Russian double spy Sergei Skripal was exposed to a nerve agent before collapsing in Salisbury.
5. Japan’s Shinzo Abe said he and President Trump agree that maximum pressure is needed when dealing with North Korea. Japan had said it would not be misled by North Korea’s “smile diplomacy.”
6. China’s Xi Jinping is reportedly now considered a living Buddhist deity. Xi has had an unprecedented rise to power to become the most powerful leader since Mao.
7. Elon Musk ranted about his biggest problem with China in a Twitter response to Donald Trump. Musk was upset over China’s policies toward foreign automakers and asked if the Trump Administration will address them.
8. South Korean stocks are up on news of US-North Korea talks. Oil prices also rose following the announcement.
9. McDonald’s flipped its arches for International Women’s Day. Here’s how women celebrated around the world.
10. The Obamas are in advanced talks to produce shows for Netflix. The deal, which is not yet final, would bring exclusive content from the Obamas to Netflix’s 118 million subscribers.
And finally …