Hello! Here’s what happening on Wednesday.
1. A terror attack in New York City killed at least eight people and injured 11. Police arrested the 29-year-old suspect after he drove down a bike lane for more than 10 blocks.
2. Following the New York City attack, President Donald Trump called to ramp up his so-called “Extreme Vetting Program,” which limits citizens from “high-risk” countries from entering the US. The perpetrator of the attack, Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, is an Uzbek national, and Uzbekistan is not listed as a banned country under Trump’s vetting program.
3. The EU’s Brexit negotiator is ready to speed up talks with the EU. Michel Barnier said the EU has proposed three potential dates to the UK to continue Brexit discussions.
4. Catalonia’s deposed president Carles Puigdemont will attempt to run his government from Brussels. Catalonia declared independence last week and the Spanish government sacked Puigdemont and his colleagues.
5. Russia-linked Facebook ads were also shown on other websites during the 2016 US election. Although only 9,000 people saw the ads, roughly 90 online publishers received revenue from the ads.
6.US Defense Secretary James Mattis said the US would shoot down a North Korea nuclear missile if necessary. Mattis was speaking to the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee after recently visiting the Korean Peninsula’s demilitarized zone.
7. The Iraqi military is preparing to take control of the autonomous Kurdistan Region’s only border crossing with Turkey and Syria. Baghdad said it wanted to control all area crossings after the Kurds held a controversial independence referendum.
8. After Australia lost its deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce last week, its Senate President Stephen Parry resigned because of his dual citizenship. Four other senators were also deemed ineligible to be in parliament, forcing their removal.
9. Refugees and asylum-seekers are still refusing to leave a former detention center run by Australia. Australia stopped servicing the center on Tuesday and residents have begun collecting water in bins to survive.
And finally …