- Fox 11
- More than 1,000 firearms were confiscated from a home in the ritzy Holmby Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles on Wednesday.
- Officers with the LAPD and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives raided the home after receiving an anonymous tip.
- Girard Damien Saenz, 56, was arrested on the scene on suspicion of unlawful transportation, and of giving, lending, or selling an assault weapon.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
A shocking arsenal of more than 1,000 firearms was discovered during an early morning raid on a property in the upscale Holmby Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles on Wednesday.
An LAPD official at the scene told reporters that the cache included all varieties of firearms, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Some were modern and others dated back 50 years or more. There were even a few collectibles from the Civil War.
“I had never seen so many weapons in my career of 31 years,” LAPD Lt. Chris Ramirez said, according to ABC 7. “That’s such a big arsenal in a residence like this, in this type of neighborhood. It’s astounding.”
- Fox 11
Officer Mike Lopez, a spokesman with the LAPD, told the Los Angeles Times that officers carried out a search warrant on the property around 4 a.m., after receiving an anonymous tip that a person was illegally manufacturing and selling guns in the home.
According to ABC 7, only one person was at the home at the time of the raid. News helicopters captured the moment that a man in handcuffs was led from the house and put in the back of a vehicle.
Police officials later identified the suspect as 56-year-old Girard Damien Saenz, according to NBC Los Angeles. Saenz was booked on suspicion of unlawful transportation, and of giving, lending, or selling an assault weapon.
- ABC 7
It’s unclear whether Saenz owns the home, was renting it, or was a guest. Neighbors told ABC 7 that he had lived at the property for close to 20 years.
According to public records, that’s around the last time the property sold, in 2001. The records show that the buyer at the time was Cynthia Beck, a former mistress to Gordon Getty, one of the world’s richest men. Getty and Beck have three daughters together.
While it’s not illegal to own such a large stash of weapons, officials told ABC 7 that it is illegal to sell weapons without going through the state and federal processes.
Holmby Hills is a wealthy enclave in the hills north of UCLA. Perhaps one of the biggest landmarks in the area is the Playboy Mansion. Beyoncé and Jay-Z also have a home less than a mile from where the raid took place on Wednesday, according to the LA Times.
- Read more:
- Pink’s husband Carey Hart defends the 2nd amendment after posting a controversial image warning ‘looters will be shot’ during the California fires
- Survivors of gun violence are sharing pictures of their injuries and crime scenes: ‘This is our reality’
- US agents seized $77 million of cocaine at a New York-area port – the biggest bust there in 25 years
- These photos show why the US Coast Guard’s snipers are some of the best in the business