- Den Rozhnovsky/Shutterstock
- On Sunday, nine people were injured at a Pennsylvania swim club when lightning struck a tree, NBC Philadelphia reported.
- That tree fell and landed on a nearby tent, injuring nine people – including seven children.
- According to ABC 6, three were seriously injured and six sustained minor injuries.
- Lifeguards and other Dolphin Swim Club officials began the rescue before other officials arrived on the scene.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
On Sunday, nine people were injured at a Pennsylvania swim club when lightning struck a tree, which caused it to fall on a tent pavilion, NBC Philadelphia reported.
The incident happened at Dolphin Swim Club in Lower Southampton Township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The lightning strike happened during a heavy rainstorm around 5 pm. When the tree fell, it landed on a 60-foot tent, according to NBC Philadelphia.
“When the tree fell, everybody started screaming,” Alex Serrano, who was at the swim club at the time, told NBC Philadelphia. “I couldn’t look because it was very heavy rain.”
Seven children and two adults were impacted by the tree, according to ABC 6. Three were seriously injured and six sustained minor injuries, the outlet reported. A fire official told NBC Philadelphia that two people sustained serious head injuries and one person sustained a serious back injury. Those who were injured were taken to St. Mary’s Medical Center, according to NBC Philadelphia.
Lifeguards and other Dolphin Swim Club officials began the rescue effort.
“The lifeguard and staff that were here got everybody out from the tent before the first responders got here,” emergency management coordinator Bill Oettinger told ABC 6.
Severe thunderstorms and lightning spread across the northeast on Sunday and caused power outages across Pennsylvania.
- Read more:
- 31 photos show how people have endured blistering heatwaves around the world this summer
- Pink ‘watermelon snow’ is covering the tops of mountains in Yosemite National Park
- A Minneapolis suburb got pelted by massive, baseball-sized hail
- Photos show freak summer hailstorm coating roads with 5 feet of ice in Guadalajara, Mexico