- Getty Images
- The actress Paz de la Huerta from “Boardwalk Empire” has accused Harvey Weinstein of raping her twice in 2010. She told Vanity Fair that both times were in her apartment in New York City. De la Huerta has spoken with the New York Police Department, and a detective working on the case said he thought there was enough evidence to make an arrest. On Friday afternoon, the NYPD confirmed that they’re building a case against Weinstein.
The actress Paz de la Huerta, who has appeared in movies like “Enter the Void” and “The Cider House Rules” and who had a recurring role on the TV series “Boardwalk Empire,” has accused the film producer Harvey Weinstein of raping her two times.
In the weeks following a bombshell New York Times report, scores of women have come forward to accuse Weinstein of sexual harassment and assault going back decades. But unlike many other accusations, de la Huerta’s could actually lead to Weinstein’s arrest, an NYPD detective investigating Weinstein in New York told Vanity Fair.
De la Huerta told Vanity Fair that Weinstein raped her twice in late 2010, just months after season one of “Boardwalk Empire” premiered on HBO. At the time, she was 26.
De la Huerta said she ran into Weinstein, whom she met when she worked on “The Cider House Rules” when she was 14, at the Standard hotel in New York in November 2010. De la Huerta said Weinstein offered her a ride home to her Tribeca apartment and demanded that she invite him up to her apartment for a drink.
“Immediately when we got inside the house, he started to kiss me and I kind of brushed [him] away,” de la Huerta said, according to Vanity Fair. “Then he pushed me onto the bed and his pants were down and he lifted up my skirt. I felt afraid. It wasn’t consensual … It happened very quickly … He stuck himself inside me … When he was done he said he’d be calling me. I kind of just laid on the bed in shock.”
De la Huerta also said a second assault happened in late December, just over a month after the first. She said Weinstein, who she said had been calling her repeatedly, showed up in her apartment building lobby.
“He hushed me and said, ‘Let’s talk about this in your apartment,'” de la Huerta told Vanity Fair. “I was in no state. I was so terrified of him. I did say no, and when he was on top of me I said, ‘I don’t want to do this.’ He kept humping me and it was disgusting. He’s like a pig … He raped me.”
De la Huerta said that Weinstein then offered to put her in a play but that she never heard from him again after he left her apartment.
Vanity Fair reported that de la Huerta had been interviewed by Nicholas DiGaudio, the NYPD detective leading an investigation into Weinstein that began when women began coming forward publicly after the Times article was published.
De la Huerta’s allegations fall within New York’s statute of limitations for rape in the first degree. DiGaudio confirmed to Vanity Fair that he had spoken with de la Huerta and other women about Weinstein.
“I believe based on my interviews with Paz that from the NYPD standpoint we have enough to make an arrest,” he said.
On Friday afternoon, The New York Times reported that police in New York City are building a case against Weinstein. Police Chief Robert K. Boyce said that if Mr. Weinstein were in New York City, his investigators would seek to arrest him immediately. “We have an actual case going forward,” Boyce said. According to the Times, de la Huerta’s accusations have been a focus for investigators in the Special Victims Division for several days.
Police departments in London and Los Angeles are also looking into accusations against Weinstein.
Weinstein, through a spokeswoman, “unequivocally denied” allegations of nonconsensual sex to Vanity Fair.