- Alex Rodriguez appeared on NBC’s “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Tuesday and detailed his proposal to Jennifer Lopez, which took place in the Bahamas in March 2019.
- The former athlete said that he planned the proposal “for about six months” and was “nervous” and “excited” for the moment.
- “Prior to me going down on one knee and getting engaged and asking for it, I rehearsed three days in a row because I wanted the sunset to be perfect,” Rodriguez added.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
“I planned it for about six months,” Rodriguez said during an appearance on NBC’s “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Tuesday. “It was on the beach in the Bahamas.”
The former athlete joked that he knew he “was in some trouble” because Lopez seemingly dropped hints about a proposal by releasing a song called “El Anillo” (which translates to “The Ring”) and filming an upcoming movie called “Marry Me.” Rodriguez said that he was “nervous” and “excited” to propose to the 49-year-old entertainer, but didn’t want to spill too many details during his late night appearance.
“Prior to me going down on one knee and getting engaged and asking for it, I rehearsed three days in a row because I wanted the sunset to be perfect,” Rodriguez said.
The 43-year-old went on to say that he had his assistant accompany him during each practice run and they made a note of when the sunset occurred each time, that way they could figure out the right moment to propose. Rodriguez also said that he wore his World Series ring for the proposal because he’s kept it on during a few major events in his life.
“I kind of gave [the proposal] away because when she saw me put on the ring, she goes, ‘Where are we going with that ring?'” Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez told Fallon that they’re “still celebrating the engagement,” and haven’t started planning out specific details for their wedding. During a recent interview with Z100, Lopez said that they’ve “vaguely” discussed some aspects, but “nothing is set in stone.”
Watch Rodriguez on Fallon in the video below.
- Read more about Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez:
- Jennifer Lopez says that she and fiancé Alex Rodriguez are ‘stronger’ together: ‘He knows my dreams and I know his dreams’
- Alex Rodriguez did the most for his first Valentine’s Day with Jennifer Lopez, but she had no idea he was behind it all
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez celebrated the end of their 10-day no-carb, no-sugar challenge with a mouth-watering feast