- Barack Obama spent Father’s Day in the south of France with his family.
- The Obamas are currently on vacation in Avignon – a medieval town and former seat of the pope in Provence.
- The former first family ate at the Michelin-starred restaurant at Hotel La Mirande with friends on Sunday.
- Dinner at La Mirande is €105 ($118) for seven courses, and guests can choose from a 60-page wine list.
- The Obamas are reportedly staying at a nearby $62,000-per-week 18th-century luxury farmhouse for a week after arriving last Friday.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Barack Obama is one lucky dad.
The former President of the United States spent Father’s Day with his family in the beautiful medieval town of Avignon in the south of France.
The Obamas arrived in the Provencal town Friday evening for a week’s vacation, local authorities said, according to AFP.
The family is staying at a nearby €55,000-a-week ($62,000-a-week) 18th-century luxury farmhouse, as reported by local newspaper Midi Libre.
On Sunday, Barack, Michelle, and their two daughters Malia and Sasha were seen visiting Avignon’s Palais des Papes – once the seat of the pope during the 14th century.
- Wikimedia Commons
The former papal residence is the biggest Gothic palace in all of Europe, boasting more than 20 rooms for visitors to explore, including the pope’s private chambers and frescoes painted by the Italian artist Matteo Giovannetti.
Having spent an hour exploring the cultural heritage site, the Obamas moved on to dinner at the Michelin-starred restaurant at Hotel La Mirande.
The former president waved to crowds of onlookers as his clan filed out of a blacked-out Chevrolet Suburban and into the restaurant with some friends.
— Pauline Lallement (@pau_lallement) June 16, 2019
Dinner at La Mirande starts at €85 ($95) for five courses or €105 ($118) for seven courses.
At 60 pages long, the wine menu is extensive, to say the least, and has been hallmarked as among the 100 best in France by wine magazine Terre de Vins.
Chef de cuisine at the restaurant is 31-year-old Florent Pietravalle, who trained under three Michelin-starred chef Pierre Gagnaire in Paris.
A meal at La Mirande promises to “follow a rhythm marked by genuine gastronomical moments, in which all the arts come together and nothing is left to chance,” according to the restaurant’s website.
The day before the meal, Malia and Sasha were spotted exploring L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Market – chaperoned by a US Secret Service detail, of course.
- AbacaPress / SplashNews.com
The pair kept things casual in contrasting outfits.
20-year-old Malia went all black in a denim jacket, shorts, and a button-down shirt, which she paired with a pair of military-style leather boots.
Meanwhile, 18-year-old Sasha, who has just graduated from high school in Washington DC, wore a camo bucket hat, military jacket, white crop top, blue mom jeans, and a pair of white sneakers.
The city hall of Villeneuve-les-Avignon marked the Obamas’ arrival in the region last Friday by flying the US flag from its balcony.
- SYLVAIN THOMAS / AFP / Getty Images