Police in Spain have arrested two suspects in the Barcelona terror attack, but their identities are still unclear.
One senior police official told the Associated Press that neither of the detained suspects was the driver of the van that plowed into a crowd of pedestrians on the tourist hotspot of Las Ramblas on Thursday.
The attack killed 13 and injured more than 100 others.
The Mossos d’Esquandra police force released the photograph of 28-year-old Driss Oukabir, and said his identification documents had been used to rent the van used in the attack.
Multiple Spanish outlets later reported that a man who identified himself as Oukabir reported to a police station that his documents had been stolen. Oukabir reportedly told police that he turned himself in after seeing his own photograph in the media.
Police identified Oukabir as a legal resident of Spain who was born in Morocco, the Spanish-language newspaper El Pais reported. The newspaper also reported that Oukabir rented the vehicle in the town of Santa Perpètua, around 10 miles from Barcelona.
El Pais also posted images from a Facebook profile in Oukabir’s name, which appeared to match images distributed by police.
The Facebook page, which has now been taken down, said he is originally from Marseilles in France, but now lives in the city of Ripoll in Spain.
Photographs on the Facebook account showed Oukabir posing in front of a mirror, on the beach, wearing branded clothes and with a pet dog. Facebook took the profile down at around 8 p.m. Spanish time.
Police reported that one person had been arrested over the attack. At least one perpetrator was still holed up in a building not far from the attack site, according to local media.
Editor’s note: This article originally included the photograph of Oukabir provided by police. Business Insider has removed the photograph until authorities clarify the identities of the suspects.
- Bing Maps/Business Insider