- Photo by Desiree Navarro/WireImage
- Jaclyn Hill had a messy year following her disastrous lipstick launch that left customers complaining of injuries and contaminated, broken products.
- The YouTuber and beauty guru persisted through the scandal, and has been updating her channel regularly since.
- Hill threw her annual Halloween party at her LA mansion this year, and showed off her tongue-in-cheek costume on her Instagram story.
- She wore a black dress with the words “Jaclyn Hill canceled” and “She’s canceled” plastered over it in red lettering, along with a bloody makeup look.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Beauty guru and YouTuber Jaclyn Hill is canceled, according to her tongue-in-cheek ‘canceled’ costume at her annual LA party.
Hill had a messy year thanks to a disastrous lipstick launch. In May, she launched her own cosmetics brand, Jaclyn Hill Cosmetics, along with an initial lineup of 20 lipsticks. First, the beauty community complained about her definition of a “nude” lipstick and suggested that her swatches were altered.
But then, once products started to arrive, customers said the lipsticks came deformed, broken, with tiny holes, or even with mold and pieces of hair or glinting shards. Some people said their lips got swollen or that they broke out after applying the product. Hill skirted around the issue but then agreed to issue refunds, which customers complained took a long time to process.
Nonetheless, Hill has since returned to her regular posting schedule and said the outlook for Jaclyn Cosmetics was bright. At her annual Halloween party in her LA mansion, which she documented via her Instagram stories, she posted a video of herself showing off in her “canceled” costume, a nod to this year’s scandals.
— ᴄᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇ ʙʏ ᴍʏ ɴᴀᴍᴇ, ᴀɴɢᴇʟᴏ ???? (@allegedlyangelo) October 27, 2019
Being “canceled” refers to being called out online for offensive behavior or misconduct. In Hill’s case, she seems to not take her own “cancelation” very seriously. The costume she wore was a black dress with red lettering spelling out “Jaclyn Hill canceled” and “she’s canceled,” and Hill paired it with a bloody makeup look.
It’s unclear whether the makeup is supposed to reference to her own scandals or is just a spooky addition to the look. In the background of the video, the song “Love Me or Hate Me” by Lady Sovereign is playing, another reference to Hill’s controversial standing in the beauty community.
A few beauty community members have already expressed annoyance that Hill’s costume makes light of what was to many consumers a safety issue. But her self-cancelation may even pale in comparison to the culturally appropriative afro she wore in 2017.
- Read more:
- A YouTuber showed off her stretch marks in a video because she’s tired of people constantly commenting on her weight
- YouTuber Jaclyn Hill returns to Twitter while her beauty brand says its ‘future is bright’ following its disastrous lipstick launch
- People say they still haven’t received refunds from Jaclyn Hill’s lipstick brand nearly one month after the YouTuber promised to give customers their money back
- Jaclyn Hill released documents to prove she tested her lipsticks for safety, but people think they show that her company may be owned by another beauty brand