- Aubrey Plaza/Instagram
- Galentine’s Day is celebrated every year on February 13 and began as a tradition on the NBC show “Parks and Recreation.”
- Celebrities marked the occasion by sharing photos and sweet messages, all in support of “ladies celebrating ladies.”
- “Parks and Recreation” stars Amy Poehler, Aubrey Plaza, and Rashida Jones reunited for the Galentine’s Day, while the women of “Big Little Lies” posted images of each other with empowering captions.
Every year, women gather together on February 13 to celebrate Galentine’s Day, and even celebrities are taking part in the occasion.
Galentine’s Day was created thanks to the hit NBC show “Parks and Recreation” and has become a pop culture phenomenon ever since. Specifically, Amy Poehler’s character, Leslie Knope came up with the idea of celebrating female friendships during season two.
“My ladyfriends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style,” Leslie said. “Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”
In honor of Galentine’s Day, here’s how your favorite celebrities marked the occasion.
Poehler reunited with her “Parks and Recreation” co-stars, Rashida Jones (who played Ann Perkins) and Aubrey Plaza (who starred as April Ludgate).
“Riverdale” star Mädchen Amick shared a selfie with actors Jenna Dewan and Rachel Boston, who she worked with on the show “Witches of East End.”
View this post on Instagram
Happy Galentine’s Day ???????????? Beautiful evening with these goddesses @jennadewan @rachelboston ~~ The female power at this gorgeous event was incredible ???? #galentinesday #jatribe #woee #ingrid #freya #wendy #thethingswelearned #thethingsweshared #femalesexuality #ifyouonlyknew ????
The three stars attended an event together, and Dewan posted photos.
“So important to take some time to be with girlfriends, love on ourselves, connect deeply with our bodies and have FUN….!” she wrote.
Reese Witherspoon gave a shoutout to Laura Dern, Nicole Kidman, Zoë Kravitz, and Shailene Woodley, who all star on “Big Little Lies.”
True love is the love you have for your sisters, your girlfriends, your circle of strong women… and the ones who tell you that you have food in your teeth. Happy #GalentinesDay! ???? pic.twitter.com/foxt6iCtlY
— Reese Witherspoon (@RWitherspoon) February 13, 2019
Dern shared an additional photo with her “BLL” co-stars on the set of the show and wrote: “So grateful for my girls every single day.”
Kidman posted an image of the ladies huddled together on a red carpet and wrote: “I’m loving seeing so many empowered women supporting women on my feed today for #GalentinesDay. It reminds me how lucky I am to be surrounded by some truly talented ladies myself. I’d love if you tagged your best gals below and let them know just how special they are to you Xx.”
Kate Walsh, who starred on “13 Reasons Why,” shared a photo collage on Twitter and wrote a lengthy message.
“#GalentinesDay reminds me of how many hardworking & talented women I am lucky enough to be surrounded by. AND how beautiful they all are… I mean c’mon!! I’d love if tagged ur best gal in the comments and let em know how kick-ass they truly are,” she wrote.
- Read more about Galentine’s Day and Valentine’s Day:
- 35 perfect last-minute Galentine’s Day gifts to show your friends a little extra love
- What 22 celebrities really think about Valentine’s Day
- I was a restaurant host for 4 years and Valentine’s Day was the worst. Here are the most cringe-worthy dates I’ve seen.