- Denis Poroy/AP
After months of debate, the Chargers are officially leaving San Diego to move to Los Angeles.
After a report said the team was expected to make the announcement on Thursday, the team changed its Twitter and Facebook pages to say “Los Angeles Chargers,” added a new L.A. logo, and then released a letter from owner Dean Spanos announcing the move.
In the letter, Spanos said San Diego will “always be part of our identity,” and that he has nothing but gratitude for the fans’ support. He also called LA a “remarkable” place, saying the Chargers still have fans there from when the team was first based out of LA, and they will have to win more with a successful team.
The move has long been on the brink, as at the end of the 2105 season, the Chargers debated moving, only to decide to stay for the 2016 season. During the 2016 season, a ballot measure to receive funding for a new stadium via a “hotel tax” failed, pushing the Chargers further out the door.
It was reported on Wednesday that NFL owners were preparing a pitch to keep the Chargers in San Diego, as some have soured on LA as a market, due to the Rams’ lack of success. However, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Spanos had been working to find a new stadium in San Diego for 16 years and there was “no resolution in sight.” Ultimately, the Chargers decided to relocate back to their original “birthplace.”
The Chargers will share a stadium in Inglewood, California, with the Los Angeles Rams.
Read Spanos’ letter below: