- Justin Lubin/NBC
- A heartbreaking accident on NBC’s ‘This Is US’ resulted in viewers threatening to throw away their Crock-Pots.
- The creators of the show were forced to defend Crock-Pots on Twitter after the episode aired.
- Crock-Pot defended itself, saying that the incident on the show was “nearly impossible” and nothing similar had ever occurred in real life.
A heart-breaking plot development on NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ had fans of the TV show threatening to throw away their Crock-Pots.
In the most recent episode, which aired on Tuesday, a faulty Crock-Pot slow cooker left unattended leads to a dish towel catching on fire. With the knowledge that the death of Jack – the Pearson family patriarch – is inevitable and fast approaching, viewers were left terrified by what the next episode would bring, as the kitchen was engulfed in flames at the end of the episode.
Many fans of the hit show blamed the Crock-Pot for the tragedy – and said that they would take action against the slow cookers in their own lives.
- Twitter _vivalaluna
- Twitter ChelseaMS731
- Twitter megofboston
On Wednesday, ‘This Is Us’ creator Dan Fogelman took to Twitter to defend Crock-Pots.
- Twitter Dan_Fogelman
However, the appliance was ultimately forced to take matters into its own hands. A Crock-Pot representative released an extensive statement that states “we have never received any consumer complaints similar to the fictional events portrayed in last night’s episode.”
“Our hope is that the team at NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ will help us spread factual information regarding our product’s safety,” the statement reads. “While we know their primary mission is to entertain – something they have continued to excel in – we also feel they have a responsibility to inform.”
Here is Crock-Pot’s full statement in response to the devastating ‘This Is Us’ plot development:
Crock-Pot understands the concerns brought up by the recent episode of ‘This Is Us,’ and we too are heartbroken by the latest development in Jack’s storyline. However, it is important that our consumers understand and have confidence that all Crock-Pot slow cookers exceed all internal testing protocols and all applicable industry safety standards and regulations as verified by independent third-party testing labs. For nearly 50 years, with over 100 million Crock-Pots sold, we have never received any consumer complaints similar to the fictional events portrayed in last night’s episode. In fact, the safety and design of our product renders this type of event nearly impossible.
In addition, and most relevant to the concerns consumers are having after watching the recent ‘This Is Us’ episode, our Crock-Pot slow cookers are low current, low wattage (typically no more than 200 or 300 watts) appliances with self-regulating, heating elements. The product is designed to cook foods over a longer period of time at low temperatures and the switches connect to only 1 side of the power line voltage, so there is never a high voltage applied directly across our switches. The switches within our slow cookers are subjected to additional internal testing, which includes a Rotary Knob Endurance test, Rotary Knob Force Test and Flame Burning Test and constructed of self-extinguishing, flame resistant material.
Our hope is that the team at NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ will help us spread factual information regarding our product’s safety. While we know their primary mission is to entertain – something they have continued to excel in – we also feel they have a responsibility to inform. Just like many fans, we will be watching next week’s episode to see how Jack’s story progresses and, regardless of the outcome, we want consumers first and foremost to know they are safe when using their Crock-Pot.