- A mother is warning others about the dangers of baby oil after her son swallowed “a little bit” and was sent to the emergency room due to toxicity from the oil.
- Baby oil is a hydrocarbon, a type of liquid that is easily inhaled and can lead to pneumonia or even death, according to the National Capital Poison Center.
- Keeping child-proof lids closed and toxic products out of a child’s reach can prevent the inhalation or swallowing of potentially fatal substances, the National Capital Poison Center noted.
Toddlers are often grabbing items they shouldn’t have and, in some instances this can lead to danger. That was the case for JennaJoy Ingraham, whose son was rushed to the emergency room after he got his hands on and swallowed “a little bit” of baby oil.
People first reported on the incident, noting that Ingraham shared the story on Facebook last month.
Ingraham explained that Graysen snagged a bottle of baby oil off the counter while her husband was showering. Although he heard Graysen cough from swallowing a small amount, the two parents didn’t think too much of it. Then, when Graysen started acting lethargic and was barely able to keep his eyes open, his parents called a nurse who suggested they contact Poison Control.
Ingraham was then advised to take her son to the hospital right away, as the liquid he swallowed could harm his lungs and even become fatal, Ingraham recalled in her post.
“We are just shocked this isn’t something many parents know about and feel like more people should know about how dangerous an old nursery staple could be,” Ingraham wrote on Facebook.
Baby oil is a hydrocarbon, a substance that when inhaled, can be fatal
According to the National Capital Poison Center, baby oil falls under the hydrocarbon category. These substances are slippery and easily inhaled, and if inhalation is left untreated, can lead to pneumonia or even death. In fact, hydrocarbon toxicity affects more than 30,000 Americans annually, with around 20 deaths occurring each year due to these types of substances, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Other hydrocarbons include lamp oil, torch fuel, lighter fluid, gasoline, and some furniture polishes. You can tell if someone has inhaled or consumed a hydrocarbon if the person coughs, chokes, vomits, gets headaches, or hallucinates about 30 minutes after exposure to the substance, according to the NIH.
To prevent inhalation of baby oil and other hydrocarbons, the National Capital Poison Center suggests always re-closing child-resistant caps and keeping these items out of a child’s reach.
If your child inhales a hydrocarbon, call Poison Control right away
If after taking the above measures your child still swallows or inhales a toxic substance, call Poison Control immediately at 1-800-222-1222 and be prepared to answer questions about the child’s symptoms, their age, the substance inhaled or swallowed, and your child’s medical history.
According to Ingraham, Poison Control’s guidance helped save her son’s life and could do the same for other children in similar situations.
JennaJoy Ingraham did not immediately reply to INSIDER’s request for comment.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.