- Snapchat does notify people when you take a screenshot of others’ content on the app.
- The app will send an alert if you screenshot a photo or video, insert the message “You took a screenshot!” into the text if you screenshot a chat, and show a screenshot icon in the viewers section of a user’s story.
- Because the very essence of Snapchat is the ephemeral nature of the media, the app doesn’t make it easy to capture screenshots on the sly.
- There are ways to capture an image of a Snapchat photo, video, or chat without notifying the other party – but you might want to question your motives before doing so.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
So you really want to take a screenshot of that hilarious chat or memorable photo on Snapchat?
Go right ahead, take the screenshot – but know that the other party using Snapchat is going to get a notification saying that you took a screenshot.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Snapchat will notify users when a screenshot is taken for photos, videos, chats, and stories
Snapchat will notify a user when another user has taken a screenshot of their photo, video, chat conversation, or Snapchat story.
Photo and video screenshots will display a screenshot alert, a chat screenshot will produce the words “You took a screenshot!” in your chat, and a story screenshot displays a screenshot icon in the viewers section of a user’s story.
If you want to take a screenshot on Snapchat without the other person knowing, you have to get clever.
But make sure you’re not being unlawful or deceitful in the process. Just because you can screenshot on Snapchat without someone knowing doesn’t mean you should.
How to get around a screenshot notification on Snapchat
Use another device to screenshot on Snapchat
The easiest way to secretly save a Snapchat screen is to use a different device as your camera. Grab an iPad, a different phone, or a camera and take a photo of the screen.
Go offline and clear the cache before taking a screenshot
If you just want to take a screenshot of one Snapchat image, this is your best method. Launch the app but don’t click the “New Snap!” you want to screenshot just yet.
Switch on Airplane Mode so your iPhone goes offline.
- William Antonelli/Business Insider
Now you can open the snap and screenshot it. Next, navigate to the Settings in Snapchat and select Clear Cache, then Clear All.
Now switch Airplane Mode off and get back to snapping as normal.