- NBA on TNT
- The Utah Jazz beat the Rockets 116-108 on Wednesday night to even the series 1-1 and steal home court advantage from Houston.
- Jazz rookie Donovan Mitchell left the game with the highlight of the night, slamming home a vicious one-handed put-back dunk over two Rockets defenders.
- The dunk was so impressive, reporters and press couldn’t help but react in awe of Mitchell.
Donovan Mitchell has been one of the breakout stars of the NBA this season.
The Rookie of the Year candidate for the Utah Jazz has made headlines with his dazzling dunks and incredible ball skills, leading the Jazz through a challenging year all the way to the fifth seed in the Western Conference.
On Wednesday night, Mitchell added another incredible highlight to his already unforgettable year, posterizing two Rockets defenders with what was easily the most vicious dunk of the postseason thus far.
In the fourth quarter with Houston clawing its way back from a deficit, Mitchell moved towards the basket and attempted a short floater. It hit off the rim, but with no one boxing him out, Mitchell jumped up on his own and slammed the ball home himself with one hand, sending the commentators into hysterics.
You can see for yourself below – watching with the sound on is highly recommended.
Donovan Mitchell doesn’tcare about gravity or defenderspic.twitter.com/pael8kd4N7
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) May 3, 2018
The dunk was so impressive that the reporters covering the game, who normally remain stoic in their objectivity, couldn’t help but react in awe of Mitchell’s ascension.
Media reaction to that Donovan Mitchell follow-slam. pic.twitter.com/xQ885JB0wZ
— J.A. Adande (@jadande) May 3, 2018
Across Twitter, basketball fans and reporters alike shared similar sentiments to the reporters who couldn’t believe what they had just seen.
OH MY WORD DONOVAN MITCHELL THAT PUTBACK DUNK
— Andy Larsen (@andyblarsen) May 3, 2018
Donovan Mitchell just got that rebound pregnant
— Zach Harper (@talkhoops) May 3, 2018
IT WAS ALL A LIE DONOVAN MITCHELL IS THE INFINITY WAR pic.twitter.com/V1zYm05pol
— Shea Serrano (@SheaSerrano) May 3, 2018
Lol look at the media dudes react to Donovan Mitchell’s dunk. pic.twitter.com/kXD6ubIGWI
— Mark Ennis (@MarkEnnis) May 3, 2018
Utah would hold on to win the game 116-108. After the game, Mitchell would downplay just how impressive the dunk was, saying he was simply trying to make a play on the ball.
“To be honest with you, I was just trying to shoot a floater and grab a rebound, but I just happened to be up there,” Mitchell said. “So I figured, why not come down with it?”
Mitchell did conceded though, that it was nice to finally show off his dunks to a national audience.
“That was my first one really on [national] TV,” Mitchell said. “I had a few like that, but that was pretty cool in the playoffs to be able to do that.”
The series now heads off to Salt Lake City knotted at 1-1, with Game 3 scheduled to tip off on Friday.
More NBA Playoffs:
- The Cavs’ game plan includes $100 fines for players who commit a specific defensive mistake and it paid off in Game 1
- Draymond Green snaps back after Charles Barkley says he wants to ‘punch him in the face’
- NBA Hall of Famer Grant Hill explained why he likes the playoffs schedule that many think is too long
- Shaquille O’Neal baffled the ‘Inside the NBA’ crew while attempting to help Kenny Smith save money on gas