- Reuters/David McNew
- The singer Elton John broke down in tears during a New Zealand concert on Sunday after he cut a show short because he was unable to sing.
- John apologized in an Instagram post later that evening, saying he had walking pneumonia.
- John had told the crowd early in the concert that he was ill and his voice was “shot” but that he was determined to put on a great show.
- “I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more,” he wrote. “I’m disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The British singer-songwriter Elton John apologized to his fans in New Zealand late Sunday night after he lost his voice and was forced to cut a concert short.
John, who said he had walking pneumonia, broke down in tears at Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium after he was unable to sing despite receiving medical attention.
He took to his Instagram page Sunday night to apologize to fans who had turned up for the show.
View this post on Instagram
I want to thank everyone who attended tonight’s gig in Auckland. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia earlier today, but I was determined to give you the best show humanly possible. I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I’m disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank-you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight’s performance. I am eternally grateful. Love, Elton xx ???? @bengibsonphoto
“I want to thank everyone who attended tonight’s gig in Auckland. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia earlier today, but I was determined to give you the best show humanly possible,” he said in the post.
“I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more,” he added. “I’m disappointed, deeply upset, and sorry. I gave it all I had.”
The legendary singer, who won an Academy Award last week for best original song in his own biopic, “Rocketman,” had to be assisted from the stage after attempting to launch into the song “Daniel,” The New Zealand Herald reported.
John had told the crowd early in the concert that he was ill and his voice was “shot” but that he was determined to put on a great show.
The tour promoter Chugg Entertainment told the Associated Press that doctors assured John he would recover. John has already rescheduled a concert set for Tuesday in Auckland to Wednesday, according to The Herald.
He is also scheduled for seven concerts in Australia before proceeding to the US and Canada.
- Sarah Parsons via Reuters
He struggled to perform “Candle in the Wind” and told the audience he did not know how long he could continue, The Herald said. He briefly left the stage but returned in a new costume.
Several songs later he lost his voice entirely, and the show was over. He was seen weeping and waving to a cheering crowd as he left the stage, assisted by medics.
The concert was part of John’s Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told reporters she met John just hours before his show and he told her he was feeling unwell.
“I thought it was incredibly kind of him to give some time like that, given he obviously felt incredibly unwell,” Ardern said.
- Read more:
- Billie Eilish said she ‘bombed’ her performance at the Oscars: ‘That s— was trash’
- Salma Hayek says she was so shocked to see Eminem backstage at the Oscars that she accidentally spilled water all over him
- Bong Joon Ho’s translator – who stole the show at the Oscars – wants to make a movie about awards season
- Eminem’s surprise Oscars performance was so secret it was reportedly left off show documents