- Patrick Lamont/Shutterstock
- A pack of feral hogs found and destroyed $22,000 worth of cocaine that was hidden in a forest in Tuscany by a gang of suspected drug dealers, Newsweek reported.
- The boars dug up the drugs and broke into the package, spreading thousands of dollars worth of cocaine across the Tuscan forest near Montepulciano, Fox News reported.
- Officers learned about the cocaine stash after placing a wire on a member of a suspected drug dealing gang and heard them complaining about the wild boars’ destruction.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
While feral hogs have proven to be a nuisance to farmers in open rural areas in the US and around the world, the pesky pigs also assisted with a sizable drug bust in Italy.
A pack of feral hogs found and destroyed $22,000 worth of cocaine hidden in a forest in Tuscany by a gang of suspected drug dealers, Newsweek reported. After digging up the hidden drugs, the boars broke into the package, littering it across the Tuscan forest near Montepulciano, according to a Fox News report.
It is not immediately clear how the boars reacted to exposure to the drugs.
Police found out about the hidden narcotics after placing a wire on a member of the group, according to The Local. According to reports, someone in the group complaining about the boars’ destruction helped officers narrow in on the location of the cocaine stash.
Four suspects were arrested in connection with the cocaine bust, Italian newspaper Il Tirreno reported, two were taken to jail and two were placed under house arrest.
The four suspects are alleged to have sourced the cocaine from Perugia and peddled two kilograms each month throughout Tuscany at $90-120 per gram, Fox News reported.
Despite helping in this drug bust, the wild animals are considered a menace in other cases in the United States and in Italy (where their population has grown), causing sizable amounts of damage to farm animals and crops, as well as posing a danger due to their large size. The infamy of feral hogs grew following a viral tweet about an Arkansas man needing to kill “30-50 feral hogs” as a defense of assault weapons.
- Read more:
- Twitter is being flooded with memes after an Arkansas father described needing to kill ’30-50 feral hogs’ as a defense of assault weapons
- The man behind the viral ‘feral hog’ tweet spoke out for the first time, and he shared that feral hogs invaded his yard several times
- Booming populations of wild boars, some of which are radioactive, are menacing major cities like Hong Kong and Barcelona
- Texans are paying up to $50,000 to hunt feral hogs from helicopters with machine guns