- Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow (played by Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington) had a steamy union on the seventh season of “Game of Thrones.”
- But filming their romantic scenes wasn’t a walk in the park.
- Clarke tells Variety’s Daniel D’Addario in a new interview that Harington would “pretend to retch” during their scenes.
- This matches with a behind-the-scenes video HBO released after the seventh season finale, when both Harington and Clarke gagged at the camera while discussing the sex scene.
Though their romance was sizzling on screen for the seventh season finale, a new interview with Variety reveals how things weren’t so smooth between takes.
“The first scene we had together we both just started laughing,” Clarke said in a new feature for Variety written by Daniel D’Addario. “Why are you looking at me this strange way and saying these strange lines? You’re my friend!”
Clarke also revealed that “Harington would pretend to retch during their scenes,” according to D’Addario.
This isn’t the first time both “Game of Thrones” stars have recounted their love-scenes with this grossed-out attitude. In a behind-the-scenes video released by HBO after the seventh season finale, both Clarke and Harington made disgusted noises while discussing their character’s incestuous relations.
“For us as actors, it’s just weird,” Clarke said. “The reality of what they are to each other? I don’t know how that’s gonna … I mean [gagging noise] might be the reaction.”
“I like looking at her and saying, ‘Oh God [gagging noise] let’s go again,” Harington said in the video, a GIF of which you can see above.
The weirdness around Jon and Dany’s sex scene didn’t only stem from the secret truth that they are really related. The awkward atmosphere, as both stars have explained, came from their close off-screen friendship.
“If you’ve known someone for six years and they’re best friends with your girlfriend, and you’re best friends with them, there is something unnatural and strange about doing a love scene,” Harington told Vanity Fair’s Joanna Robinson last year.
- Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
Harington is now married to Rose Leslie – the girlfriend he was referencing in the Vanity Fair interview. Leslie starred as Jon Snow’s first love, Ygritte, on earlier seasons of “Game of Thrones.” Their on-screen love story turned into a real life romance, and then Clarke became close friends with both actors.
Clarke and Harington didn’t have any scenes together on “Game of Thrones” until 2017, when the seventh season brought Dany and Jon together.
Now, heading into the eighth and final season of the HBO hit series, the two co-stars are leading the charge as the Army of the Dead marches into Westeros. The fate of their union is on rocky territory, but we’ll have to wait and see how many moments of romance will be worked into the last six episodes.
For more on Harington and his experience on “Game of Thrones,” read the full Variety profile here.
- Read more:
- Emilia Clarke vents about fans’ obsession with ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scenes: ‘People f— for pleasure, it’s part of life’
- This family tree shows how Jon and Dany are related
- Sophie Turner says the ‘Game of Thrones’ cast makes fun of Kit Harington for his obsession with his hair
- Kit Harington loves that someday his and Rose Leslie’s children could watch their parents meet on ‘Game of Thrones’