- Helen Sloan/HBO
- Warning: Spoilers ahead for “Game of Thrones” season eight, episode one, “Winterfell.”
- On the new season premiere, Gendry was shown at Winterfell’s forge making custom dragonglass weapons.
- Arya showed him a drawing of a spear-like weapon with a dragonglass tip that can be removed.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
On Sunday’s premiere of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” season eight, titled “Winterfell,” Arya Stark put in an order for a new custom weapon.
The blacksmith? None other than Gendry, of course. He’s now manning the forge at Winterfell, reworking dragonglass into couture weapons. We saw him give Sandor “The Hound” Clegane a newly crafted dragonglass ax, and then Arya came through with a request of her own.
“What do you need something like this for?” Gendry asked Arya (whom he doesn’t realize is now a super-skilled assassin).
Here’s a closer look at the drawing she handed him:
“Dragonglass” is written on the paper, right by what looks like a spear tip. Then there’s a little arrow pointing from the dragonglass tip to a handle, as if Arya wants the weapon’s blade to be interchangeable.
The drawing itself leaves us with questions. What is on the other side? Why does the tip need to be removed? How big will this actually be? Thankfully, answers will soon be here. In an interview with Vanity Fair’s Joanna Robinson, the “Game of Thrones” weapons creator Tommy Dunne said he made a new piece for season eight “that is absolutely phenomenal.”
“It’ll be a showstopper,” Dunne said on the “Still Watching” podcast. “That was great to finish. It was great to make, great to design it.”
Dunne also mentioned that this mystery weapon was designed to be “reverse-engineered and made into two different items.” This seems to be a reference to the new blade Arya has asked Gendry to make. What if it’s a spear that can be broken into two separate daggers?
In both the “Game of Thrones” season eight trailer and the preview for next week’s episode, we’ve been shown Arya holding a dragonglass blade up as she talks about her encounters with the various faces of Death.
This blade is most likely one end of the weapon she asked Gendry to forge for her, which means we only have to wait until next week to see the new piece up close. In the meantime, we’ll rewatch this forge scene just to bask in the sweet glow of Arya and Gendry flirting.
- Read more:
- Arya and Jon finally reunited, but the moment was tinged with a threat of discord
- A stunning Jon Snow revelation finally came to light on the ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 premiere
- ‘Game of Thrones’ has been hinting at Jon Snow’s true parentage since season one – here’s every clue we spotted
- Cersei’s mystifying scene on the ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 premiere leaves us questioning a major revelation
- The only ‘Game of Thrones’-themed food to serve at your next watch party