- CBS This Morning/Twitter
- Gayle King said she wanted to tell one of R. Kelly’s girlfriends that she would “regret this time” in her life she was in a relationship with the singer.
- She told Time that she was surprised by Azriel Clary’s “snippy” and “arrogant” approach in the interview.
- Both women who live with Kelly say they’re in love with him, but their parents say they’re “brainwashed.”
Gayle King said she wanted to tell Azriel Clary, one of R. Kelly’s two girlfriends, that she would “regret” her relationship with the singer during her now-famous “CBS This Morning” interview.
Kelly lives with 21-year-old Azriel Clary and 23-year-old Joycelyn Savage in his apartment in Chicago’s Trump Tower. He says he’s dating both of them, even though they are both less than half his age. The two say they “love” Kelly and have appeared in Kelly’s public court appearances to support him. Their parents say they are “brainwashed” and in a “sex cult” Kelly runs.
In part of her CBS News feature, King interviewed Clary and Savage. Both disparaged their parents and defended their choice to live with Kelly, but shared few details about their arrangements.
When asked about her sexual relationship with Kelly, Clary deflected the question, and pointed out that King wouldn’t discuss her own sex life.
“I’m not here to talk about my personal life. And I would never share with no one what I do inside the bedroom,” Clary told King. “There are people all over the world who have their own girlfriends. It’s no different.”
King told Time that she wanted to tell Clary at that moment that years later, she would regret her time with Kelly.
“What I wanted to say [was], ‘Listen, listen, little girl, you don’t even know what you’re saying right now. And one of these days you’re going to regret this moment. You’re going to regret this moment, you’re going to regret this time in your life,'” King said. “But I saw no point in chastising her.”
King also said she was surprised by Clary’s aggressive approach during her interview.
“She had a very snippy little arrogant attitude. She started out the gate like that. I was surprised,” King told Time. “I was surprised that that was the tactic she chose to take. But what am I going to do? I’m not going to start screaming and hollering at her.”
Kelly’s relationship with Clary and Savage resemble decades of sexual misconduct allegations about him. Nine people have publicly accused him of sexual misconduct. In many of the cases, the women were underage at the time of the misconduct. Kelly has been charged with 10 counts of criminal sexual abuse and could go to prison for life if he’s convicted on all charges. He denies all the allegations against him.
- Read more:
- She used to be R. Kelly’s biggest supporter. Now she could send the R&B icon to prison for life.
- R. Kelly was charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse after decades of accusations. Here are all the allegations against him.
- ‘We are in a relationship with R. Kelly’: Women whose parents claim are being held against their will say their families are telling ‘lies for money’ and that one of their fathers asked for ‘sexual videos’ with the singer for blackmail
- R. Kelly blames the parents of 2 young women he lives with for giving their daughters up to him in exchange for money