- Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Supermodel Gigi Hadid surprised fans by posting a promotional photo for McDonald’s on Instagram Sunday.
- In the photo, Hadid appeared to eat the fast-food brand’s famous french fries while sitting in a tent at Coachella.
- Some Instagram users were enthusiastic in their comments on the post, but others were critical of Hadid’s partnership with McDonald’s.
- While fellow models commented to say the photo represented “goals,” some Instagram users accused her of promoting an unhealthy diet or not really eating the fries in the picture.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
Gigi Hadid posted a promotional photo for McDonald’s to Instagram on Sunday that surprised some of her fans.
During the first weekend of Coachella, the famous arts and music festival in the world held in Indio, California, the high-fashion model promoted McDonald’s with a photo of her eating the fast-food chain’s golden french fries.
Hadid captioned the photo, which she tagged as a paid partnership with McDonald’s: “Pre festival with @mcdonalds yesterday fed & hydrated, thanks friends!”
Some of Hadid’s fans were perplexed by the supermodel’s partnership with McDonald’s.
“You know you did not eat those fries,” one Instagram user commented. “I don’t think she eats McDonald’s,” another added.
Others were critical of Hadid’s partnership with the brand for moral reasons.
“You are gorgeous but you are promoting food that leads to obesity and ruins people’s health,” one person commented.
“Gigi I love you but maybe pick a different sponsorship,” another Instagram user wrote. “They pay poverty wages and pour millions into lobbying against basic rights for their workers.”
“People will literally do anything for money,” someone else wrote in the comments.
Still, many Instagram commenters were supportive of Hadid in the comment section of her post. Fellow model Bregje Heinen called the photo her “life goals,” while current Victoria’s Secret Angel Elsa Hosk wrote: “That’s goals.”
Even Gotham Gym, a fitness center in New York City and Bridgehampton, New York, owned by Hadid’s trainer Rob Piela, commented on the post with a french fry emoji, seemingly in support of the photo.
- Jason Kempin / Stringer
Like most models, Hadid is seemingly serious about her fitness and health
Hadid grew up riding horses and playing volleyball, and now she’s an avid boxer. She also has taken to practicing ballet.
And when it comes to her approach with food, Hadid told Harper’s Bazaar that her mantra is: “Eat clean to stay fit, have a burger to stay sane.” While it’s unclear whether McDonald’s products are typically part of her routine, her diet seems less restrictive than it might be for others in her profession.
Representatives for McDonald’s and Hadid did not immediately respond to INSIDER’s request for comment.
- Read more:
- Fans are blasting a designer for an ‘illegal alien’ campaign starring Gigi Hadid
- McDonald’s rejected designs from the ’70s could have completely changed the way the fast-food chain looks today
- Gigi Hadid recognizes her ‘privilege,’ but hit back at critics who think her ‘whole childhood was fame’
- 11 things you probably didn’t know about Gigi Hadid