- Getty Images
Someone broke into a flat inside the charred remains of Grenfell Tower and stole cash from inside a flat, according to a former resident of the tower block.
The alleged victim – who has not been identified – said that a large sum of money had been taken from their home in an interview with broadcaster ITV News. Police are investigating.
The resident lived in a lower-level flat in the block, which was left untouched by the fire which destroyed the majority of the building on June 14. They were evacuated like everybody else after the fire.
Police began to allow residents to access undamaged lower-level flats from September 4, and six families had been able to access their flats so far, according to the Guardian.
The resident, who had returned to their flat last week, told ITV News that money was missing, leaving them “beyond devastated.”
The Metropolitan Police believe the money was taken some time after June 20, citing police photos from then day that still featured the money in the flat, according to a press statement sent to Business Insider on Wednesday.
Police and private security staff patrol the site 24 hours a day, the force added. Police now say they are reviewing the security of all of the building’s flats.
Emma Dent Coad, the Labour MP for Kensington, where Grenfell Tower is located, said the report of the theft was “of huge concern” to her constituents.
“You would imagine that a crime scene would be closely guarded day and night, yet somehow an outsider has been able to get in and commit this appalling and disrespectful crime against survivors of the Grenfell fire,” she said, according to the Guardian. “Clearly the police need extra resources.”
At least 80 people died in the fire, although police say the final death toll will not be known until next year. The Met has formally identified 58 deaths so far, and are considering holding charging two public bodies with corporate manslaughter over the fire.