If you’re on the hunt for your perfect match, there’s a chance you’ve been looking too close to home.
Travelling is a great way to meet new people – and it turns out there are certain places around the world that increase your chances of finding Mr or Mrs Right.
Dating app Happn – which has 1.9 million users in the UK and 37 million worldwide – analysed the number of “crushes,” or matches, made by users across the globe to find out which monuments and landmarks were popular for finding love.
The app, which exists in 50 cities and 40 countries, uses geolocation to connects users who are in the same place at the same time. If the users “like” each other, by tapping a heart on the other user’s profile, then they can start messaging each other.
While the likes of the Eiffel Tower did make the list, some of the results were more surprising – and you’re unlikely to have heard of the 71.5 metre-tall landmark that took the number one spot.
Scroll down to see the 10 landmarks around the world where you’re most likely to meet your match, according to Happn.
10. Corcovado, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Meaning “hunchback” in Portugese, the mountain is known for its “Christ the Redeemer” statue, which tourists flock to.
9. Topkapi Palace, Istanbul, Turkey. In the 15th century, this stunning spot served as the main residence and administrative headquarters of the Ottoman sultans.
- Bertl123 / Shutterstock
8. Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia. Whether you’re simply checking out the view or attending a performance, this arts centre offers many opportunities to meet someone new.
7. Colosseum, Rome, Italy. The largest amphitheater ever built, this popular Rome tourist spot has plenty of space for wandering.
6. Little Mermaid, Copenhagen, Denmark. This statue by Edvard Eriksen, which depicts the famous fairytale character, sits by the waterside, and is a popular visitor spot.
- Ppictures / Shutterstock
5. Empire State Building, New York City, USA. Made famous in countless films, the Empire State Building is a good place for a chance encounter.
4. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain. The unconventional beauty of this unfinished church by architect Antoni Gaudí is sure to inspire you to meet someone new.
- Mapics / Shutterstock
3. Eiffel Tower, Paris, France. Perhaps the least surprising landmark on the list, you can’t deny the romance that surrounds the Eiffel Tower — and neither can Happn users.
- REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer
2. Buckingham Palace, London, England. The second most popular spot in the world for meeting your match, it seems visitors to London are looking for their own royal fairytale.
- Lukasz Pajor / Shutterstock
1. Obelisco de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina. The most popular landmark for Happn matches in the world, you’re sure to catch the eye of a passerby as you take in the view of this historic monument.
- SC Image / Shutterstock