- A tragic accident brought together 17-year-old Omaha, Nebraska, quarterback Elliott Brown and 6-year-old McKinley Blue, “Good Morning America” reported.
- The two met in a hospital while Blue was recovering from a car accident.
- The accident put Blue in a coma for 10 days and left her with brain damage. She reportedly had to relearn how to walk, talk and eat.
- While Brown visited her, Blue would paint his fingernails to help her regain some strength in her arms.
- Blue continued painting Brown’s nails even after she was released from the hospital.
- Now, Blue regularly attends Brown’s games and is one of his biggest fans.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Though neither of them could have predicted it, 17-year-old Omaha, Nebraska, high school quarterback Elliott Brown, and 6-year-old McKinley Blue have become a formidable team.
As first reported by “Good Morning America,” the two met while Blue was in the hospital recovering from the after-effects of a 2018 car accident. That accident left Blue with a left skull fracture that put her in a coma for 10 days. The 6-year old had to have a piece of her skull removed and was confined to a wheelchair during her recovery, KMTV reported. Blue’s brain trauma was so severe she reportedly had to relearn how to walk, talk, and eat. It was during those long months of recovery that Brown started visiting.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) November 25, 2019
Brown was friends with Blue’s older sisters and was moved by the young girl’s attempts at recovery. He would come sit with Blue during her recovery sessions and let her paint his fingernails, a process that slowly helped Blue regain some of her strength in her arms. Brown returned every week before game day for a fresh layer of paint.
Blue’s mother, Jessica, told Good Morning America that the two forged a deep bond during their visits.
“I always thought he was a very sweet boy and a great example for my girls,” Jessica Blue said.
The fingernail painting continued on even after Blue was released from the hospital. Now, when Blue paints Brown’s nails she can actually go seen him in action at the games.
- Read more:
- An 82-year-old female bodybuilder sent an unlucky home invader to the hospital
- A former US Marine started a fundraiser to pay off his local high school’s lunch debt, and he raised $7,600 in 6 days
- Heartwarming video shows a stranded dog get rescued from a frozen pond – and immediately try to return the favor
- When a boy sent a letter to his dad in heaven, he got the most heartwarming reply from the postman