- Thaspol Sangsee/Shutterstock
- A buyer has two days to pay for an item on eBay from the time of their purchase.
- After two days, a seller can open an Unpaid Item Case, prompting the buyer to pay or resulting in a loss of buyer privileges if the seller is never able to collect the money.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Congratulations on your newly purchased eBay item. Whether you won the item in an auction or purchased it outright via the “Buy It Now” button, it’s time to pay.
To ensure that you stick to that window, buyers should always note the terms that the seller stipulates – including the cost of shipping and handling – before making a purchase. eBay notes that “bids can only be retracted under exceptional circumstances.”
If the buyer does not pay or contact the seller during that window, a seller can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center.
- Isabella Paoletto/Business Insider
How to manage unpaid item cases on eBay
1. If a buyer has not paid within four days of opening an unpaid item case, the seller may opt to close it. This triggers the option for the buyer to receive a fee credit from eBay. If the buyer does not mark the case as closed within 36 days, eBay will automatically close it, but the buyer will not be eligible for the fee credit. If the buyer relists the item, he may be eligible for an insertion fee refund.
2. Buyers can appealing an unpaid item case if they believe it was falsely reported. Unpaid items are tracked on a buyer’s account, and an excessive number of cancelled transactions may result in a loss or restriction of eBay privileges.
3. Sellers should not falsely report unpaid items, as consequences include: suspension; a reversal of credits for the time period in question; and a loss of the ability to use the final value fee credit system.
4. eBay will automatically remove feedback from a buyer who did not pay. Feedback will also be removed if the buyer is suspended or if the buyer’s communication in the Resolution Center “undermines the purpose of the unpaid item processes and feedback system.”
Note that if eBay takes action against an account, all fees paid or payable to that account will not be refunded or credited.