- ESB Professional/Shutterstock
What does an Engineer’s role at Insider, Inc. look like exactly? From the Latin root of the word ‘Engine’ the word Engineer derives from the word ingenuity, meaning to show brilliance in creation. Engineers put the parts of a functioning tool or device together to solve important problems. Here at Insider, Inc. we solve our unique problems well. We combine our ingenuity with our desire to delight our readers. We build our products from the ground up. We are a talented and collaborative group. We are ardent coders and tinkerers of technology. Along with our colleagues in editorial and business, our product and technology team is one of the three core pillars of Insider, Inc.
Here is just some of what our engineering team has done over the past year:
- We redesigned and rebuilt core components of the site.
- We rebuilt and released our Home Page Editor.
- We re-branded and re-platformed our post pages to a leaner and cleaner code base. These pages deliver nearly one billion page views a month.
- During our hack week we prototyped an interview transcription service, and an inline post editing tool.
- We started a blog!
- We moved to a new office!
- Develop, manage, empower and supercharge a team of 40+ tech leads and front end, back end, quality assurance and DevOps engineers.
- Recruit the best talent to join a growing team that exemplifies the culture of Insider, Inc.
- Codify, spearhead and shepherd technical architecture across platforms and geographies using best-in-class internal, open source, and commercial solutions.
- Evangelize the Insider, Inc. engineering team, culture and values internally and externally as a thought leader at meetups, industry panels, and conferences.
- Prioritize our readers, clients and employees to synchronize core technology strategy with business needs (and vice-versa).
- Proactively ensure compliance with the latest global security, accessibility, and privacy requirements.
- Partner with our head of product to identify and prioritize initiatives that deliver business value constantly.
- Successful in building high-performing engineering teams that build and run high-performance modern web apps, microservices, and content syndication engines using AWS, Fastly, Angular, Symfony, Docker, Go, MongoDB.
- Comfortable navigating at any level of the organization, from executives to junior developers, from finance to editorial.
- Ability to solve both sticky technical problems as well as develop and articulate technical strategy and vision.
- Significant experience in building and managing scalable systems for digital-first publishing, content management and distribution, monetization, performance, monitoring and analytics.
- In touch with emerging technologies, constantly evaluating and recommending potential partnerships that provide efficiencies and competitive advantage within the tech stack,
- Management of organizational budget, headcount requirements, and vendor relationships.
- Rock star recruiter with deep network of potential candidates to join the team.
- Strong belief in Agile, Scrum, and LeSS principles.
- 10+ years managing a large-scale engineering organization.
Sound like the gig you’ve been looking for? Apply and tell us a bit about yourself.