- Brad Barket/Getty Images for Fast Company
- Rapper Kanye West was met with laughter from an audience in New York after he mentioned running for president in 2024.
- West, who was speaking at Fast Company’s Innovation Festival on Thursday, started to say, “When I run for president in 2024,” but stopped when the audience began laughing.
- “What y’all laughing at?” West asked the audience.
- The rapper went on to talk about how his Yeezy brand could improve his run for president, as well as his theories on why Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated.
- West also announced his plans to change his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West” at the event.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Jesus Is King” rapper Kanye West was met with laughter in New York on Thursday after he mentioned he was running for president in 2024.
West, who was speaking at Fast Company’s Innovation Festival, was gearing up to talk about the impact of his Yeezy brand when the interruption happened.
“When I run for president in 2024,” he began, but stopped when the audience began laughing. “What y’all laughing at?” West asked.
Once the laughter had subsided, the rapper went on to clarify that by 2024, his Yeezy brand “will have created so many jobs, I’m not gonna run [for president], I’ll walk,” according to TMZ.
Footage obtained by TMZ of West’s appearance at the festival also shows the rapper talking about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. – who, according to West, was killed because he wanted to talk about financial freedom for the black community – and his desire to change his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West.”
This isn’t the first time West has spoken out about wanting to run for president.
While accepting the Video Vanguard Award at the 2015 VMAs, the rapper told viewers he was interested in the presidency.
“As you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president,” West said at the conclusion of his acceptance speech.
Although West’s 2020 presidential run hasn’t materialized, he told Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s Beats 1 radio in October that he would one day become president.
“There will be a time when I will be president of the US, and I will remember … any founder that didn’t have the capacity to understand culturally what we were doing,” West said.
Representatives for West didn’t immediately respond to Insider’s requests for comment.
- Read more:
- Kanye West is considering legally changing his name to ‘Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West’ for a year
- Kanye West claims Democrats have ‘brainwashed’ black Americans and ‘make them abort their children’
- Kanye West banned his 6-year-old daughter from wearing makeup and crop tops: ‘I think and feel differently now that I’m Christian’
- Kanye West says he asked people not to have premarital sex while working on his new album