- Yeezy Mafia
- The latest product from Yeezy, Kanye West‘s sneaker line collaboration with Adidas, is the “foam runner,” a slip-on clog and sneaker hybrid made of foam that some people think look similar to Crocs.
- The brand first announced the new slide-on shoes Thursday night on Twitter, and the footwear almost instantly went viral.
- Many Twitter users mocked the new shoes and capitalized on their meme potential, comparing the foam runners to Crocs and dubbing them “Yocs.”
- A representative for Yeezy told Insider that the foam runners are “currently scheduled for early 2020 with an under $100 price point.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kanye West is known for bringing his eccentric style to life through Yeezy, his sneaker line collaboration with Adidas.
The brand announced its latest product, the “foam runner,” on Thursday. The shoes are slated to be released in early 2020, a Yeezy representative told Insider.
Although they’re not out yet, the foam runners are already inspiring memes across the internet.
— YEEZY MAFIA (@theyeezymafia) September 12, 2019
The shoe, which the brand announced through its Yeezy Mafia Twitter account, is a slip-on sneaker and clog hybrid made out of foam. The new kicks have multiple holes of various sizes cut into the sides, which have led some people to liken the unconventional shoes to Crocs.
Showing off my new low budget Yeezy Crocs pic.twitter.com/CjDnMd3lQo
— Queen B (@TheBigestFandom) September 12, 2019
The slip-ons went viral almost immediately after they were announced, with many Twitter users capitalizing on the shoes’ meme potential.
You vs. The Guy She Tells You Not To Worry About pic.twitter.com/vV58jpoQgP
— X (@XLNB) September 12, 2019
— joe (@JoeJoeColes) September 12, 2019
At least one user suspects that the same people critiquing the new shoes will be lining up to buy them once they are released.
Twitter: Those Yeezy Crocs Are Ugly Af
The Same Twitter On Release Day: pic.twitter.com/A8wzNGazgN
— Elijha ???????? (@influencedyou_) September 12, 2019
And another is willing to pitch in a few extra dollars to spruce up the stark slides.
— Ryan Lowe (@RoLowe_) September 13, 2019
Compared to other Yeezy products that often run for hundreds of dollars a pair, the foam runners are said to be relatively affordable. A representative for Yeezy told Insider that the shoes would retail at an “under $100 price point.”
As of now, the limited photos of the new shoes – including a shot of West’s daughter North sporting the eccentric sandals – have only shown the foam runners in white.
The foam runners certainly stray from the rest of the brand’s footwear, which has predominantly consisted of boots and sneakers aside from the Yeezy slides that West himself sported in 2018.
West had the internet buzzing when he wore the shoes, which appeared to be too small for his feet, to 2 Chainz and Kesha Ward’s wedding that August.
The rapper later said he had been wearing the slides in “the Japanese way” and tweeted out an infographic that, according to Vogue, appeared to be of a geta shoe – a Japanese sandal that is traditionally worn with the heel falling over the back of the shoe to leave extra room between the toe straps.
But Dana Buntrock, the Department of Architecture chair of the Center for Japanese Studies at UC Berkeley, told Vogue she had “not seen the practice carry over to pool sandals.”
West subsequently poked fun at himself by wearing a giant version of the slides out and about and tweeting a photo accompanied by the caption “are the slides big enough ???? ????????????????.”
Adidas did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
- Read more:
- Katelyn Ohashi struggled with eating disorders throughout her gymnastics career. Now after her viral routine, she’s becoming a champion for self-acceptance.
- Jägermeister is releasing a spiked cold brew coffee made with 33% alcohol
- Scott Disick made his kids a $100,000 playhouse that is nicer than your apartment
- The best memes about White Claw, the hard seltzer drink that ‘bros’ can’t get enough of