- The New York City Medical Examiner confirmed on Thursday that Kate Spade’s death was a suicide.
- The cause of death was suicide by hanging.
- The 55-year-old fashion designer was found dead in her Park Avenue home on Tuesday.
Kate Spade’s cause of death was suicide by hanging, the New York City Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed on Thursday.
Spade’s body was found by a cleaner in the bedroom of her Park Avenue home on Tuesday.
Spade, 55, is survived by her husband, Andy; her 13-year-old daughter, Frances Beatrix Spade; and her brother-in-law, the actor David Spade.
The police have said Spade left a note behind that pointed to suicide.
TMZ reported that the note was addressed to her daughter and said: “Bea – I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!”
A statement Andy Spade released to The New York Times on Wednesday said that Spade had “suffered from depression and anxiety for many years.” The statement also indicated the couple had been living separately for 10 months.
She launched the business Kate Spade New York, which sells handbags, shoes, and accessories, with Andy in 1993.
It now has more than 315 stores globally, including more than 140 in the US, though the couple sold their shares to Neiman Marcus for an undisclosed amount in 2006.
Liz Claiborne bought the company shortly afterward for a reported $124 million, before it was acquired by Coach for $2.4 billion last year.
Spade’s father, Frank Brosnahan, told The Kansas City Star that he spoke with his daughter the night before she was found dead.
He added that Spade would be “delighted” if she knew her death inspired a national discussion that might help people struggling with mental illness.
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or has had thoughts of harming themselves or taking their own life, get help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) provides 24/7, free, confidential support for people in distress, as well as best practices for professionals and resources to aid in prevention and crisis situations.
Remembering Kate Spade:
- ‘You don’t know me but I know you’: After Kate Spade’s death, people are sharing how the designer touched their lives through fashion
- Kate Spade has died in an apparent suicide at 55. Here’s the story behind the rise of her handbag empire.
- Kate Spade shared how she wanted to be remembered in a 2002 interview
- Kate Spade was totally detached from her namesake brand
- Kate Spade leaves behind her husband and business partner. Here’s what we know about their relationship.
- Kate Spade’s fans are reacting to her apparent suicide with reminders about mental health
- Celebrities and fashion industry figures are reacting to Kate Spade’s apparent suicide