- Getty; Google Maps; Jenny Cheng/Business Insider
- US President Donald Trump is staying at the Shangri-La Hotel in Singapore ahead of his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- Kim is staying at the St. Regis, which is only about 600 meters as the crow flies from Trump’s base (750 meters, or just under half a mile, on foot).
- The men are set to meet Tuesday at a separate hotel.
Both President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un have arrived at their Singapore hotels for their historic summit – and if they were to look out the window at the same time, they could probably see each other.
The two men are staying less than half a mile apart in central Singapore. The city-state is not a big place to begin with, but the leaders have chosen hotels less than half a mile away from each other.
Trump is staying in the Shangri-La Hotel, while Kim is a little way down the road in the St. Regis. According to Google Maps, the two are almost 600 meters apart in a straight line, or 750 meters (just under half a mile) on foot.
Judging from a 3D model of Singapore visible on Google Maps, there is a clear line of sight from the top of the 38-floor Shangri-La to the 20-floor St. Regis.
- Google Earth; Skye Gould/Business Insider
Here are photos showing the hotels from street level too:
- Getty Images
- Getty Images
Despite their close proximity, the two men have not yet met. They are due to see each other at 9 a.m. local time Tuesday (9 p.m. ET Monday) in what is set to be a historic first meeting between a North Korean leader and a sitting US president.
The two leaders will leave their hotels for the summit, which is being held at a third hotel, the Capella, on the island of Sentosa, just south of the Singapore mainland.
- Google Maps; Jenny Cheng/Business Insider
More on the Trump-Kim Summit:
- Who will be in the room when Trump meets Kim Jong Un
- Kim Jong Un has a massive advantage over Trump in the talks – but he could turn it against China
- We asked South Koreans what they think will come out of the Trump-Kim summit, and they were surprisingly optimistic
- Opinion: 6 critical questions we need to ask about the Trump-Kim summit before calling it a success or failure
- Kim Jong Un’s high school teacher says the North Korean leader probably knows English and just pretends not to
- Trump and Kim Jong Un are staying in hotels less than a half-mile apart, and this map shows how they’re basically neighbors
- Kim Jong Un’s internet-famous bodyguards have been seen jogging in formation around his car in Singapore – here’s everything we know about them
- Analysis: Trump is pushing for North Korea’s denuclearization, but Kim has his own agenda