- Warning: Minor spoilers for “Frozen 2” ahead.
- Kristen Bell says her now-husband Dax Shepard was once against the idea of marriage.
- He didn’t believe his commitment to their relationship was “dependent on a piece of paper sitting in City Hall.”
- “I thought that was kind of a decent point, and then a few months later he proposed to me,” Bell told Insider while promoting her partnership with Enterprise. “And I was kind of shocked.”
- In Bell’s coming movie “Frozen 2,” her character Anna is faced with challenges when it comes to taking her relationship with Kristoff to the next level.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard have been together since 2007, and were officially married in 2013. But early on in their relationship, the couple discussed the possibility of marriage and it seemed off the table.
“Ironically he was very … not against [marriage] but more of the idea of marriage,” Bell told Insider while promoting her partnership with Enterprise. “He was saying ‘How I treat you will not be dependent on a piece of paper sitting in City Hall. Because I’ve already made a commitment and I don’t see a use in that piece of paper.'”
But then Shepard proposed to Bell over the holiday season in 2009.
- Kevin Winter/Getty Images
“I thought he had a decent point,” Bell said. “And then a few months later he proposed to me. I was kind of shocked. But we had already talked about how relevant marriage would be in our lives. “
Bell was reflecting on her marriage journey with Shepard as it related to the upcoming movie “Frozen 2,” where Bell’s character Anna will be grappling with taking her relationship with Kristoff to the next level.
As revealed in footage shown at Disney’s D23 Expo event, Kristoff will attempt to propose to Anna early in the movie. But Anna is so distracted and out-of-touch with Kristoff that she barely notices the gesture. The scene plays comically, but Bell says it’s an important moment for people to understand how relationships can veer off course.
“[‘She’s] totally oblivious,” Bell said. “And it’s a goofy little scene but it’s very representative of partners being on the wrong page.”
Bells says marriage proposals can work out in several different ways, depending on the couple.
“It could certainly be that you’re communicating and love spending your life together and then someone surprise proposes – that happens all the time,” Bell said. “It did with my friends recently. Or there’s a situation like with my husband and I where we talked it out, like ‘What do you want out of life? Do you want kids? Do you want to get married?'”
View this post on Instagram
To the man who I've known for an eternity yet learn new things about everyday; who has been with me through thick and thin(and loved my 47lbs of baby weight); who is as interested in PDA as I am; who tattooed my last name on his ring finger beacuse he hates jewelry; who always puts up our Xmas lights; and who never fails to mock my red carpet pose. I love u with my whole ♥️@daxshepard
It was during that initial conversation that Bell learned how Shepard considered his commitment to their relationship to be irrelevant to a “piece of paper” in City Hall.
The couple didn’t marry until four years after they got engaged, though. Bell and Shepard said they waited until same-sex marriage was legalized thanks to a ruling the Supreme Court made on June 26, 2013. This time it was Bell who publicly proposed marriage to Shepard through a tweet.
@IMKristenBell Fuck Yes!!!!!!!!!!!
— dax shepard (@daxshepard) June 26, 2013
DOMA is dead. Prop 8 is dead. Now let's bring my big, gay marriage to @IMKristenBell to Life!!!!
— dax shepard (@daxshepard) June 26, 2013
On Monday, Bell shared a photo of herself and Shepard on Instagram, noting that their friends and family had reminded them it was their five year wedding anniversary sometime last week.
“In truth, neither of us remember which day,” Bell wrote in the caption. “That’s because we have been living the celebration of our commitment every moment since. I find when you are living with gratitude each moment, the dates become irrelevant.”
“Frozen 2” arrives in theaters on November 22, when we’ll learn more about how Anna and Kristoff’s own love story will end.
- Read more:
- The 11 best pieces of advice Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard have for keeping a relationship thriving
- Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell’s daughter had a priceless response to finding out her parents are famous
- Kristen Bell explains why she spoils Dax Shepard on his ‘sober birthday’ more than his actual birthday: ‘That’s what allows me to have him in my life’