- Maisie Williams reflected on her experience filming HBO’s “Game of Thrones” for a feature on Sunday’s “60 Minutes” on CBS.
- The 22-year-old star said she used to wear some kind of strap around her bust to “reverse puberty” while her character, Arya Stark, still needed to look young and boyish.
- Later, when the strap “was no longer working,” she was made to wear a “chubby belly” to balance out her figure, she said.
- “I was about 15 years old – like, I kind of just want a boyfriend, honestly,” she said, laughing. “I don’t want to wear this.”
Maisie Williams recently reflected on her decadelong experience filming HBO’s “Game of Thrones” for a feature on CBS’s “60 Minutes” on Sunday.
Williams, now 22, was just 12 years old when she was cast as the adventurous and bold Arya Stark. While Arya was traveling through Westeros in earlier seasons, her survival partly relied on her ability to appear young and boyish – but Williams was growing up.
“There was a few seasons in the middle where I had to wear, like, a strap just to reverse puberty for the first few years while Arya was pretending to be a boy,” she said on “60 Minutes.”
“And then it got to the point where the strap was no longer working. So I was about 15, right, and they gave me, like, this little chubby belly, so it would, like, even out the playing field,” she continued. “And then, yeah, I was about 15 years old – like, I kind of just want a boyfriend, honestly. I don’t want to wear this.”
Williams added that “for the most part,” the characters on “Game of Thrones” were allowed to “evolve.”
“I remember, I guess, like season six is when Arya gets her new costume, I think. And I remember I walked into my trailer one morning, and there was a little bra, and it was very exciting,” she said.
Turner plays Sansa Stark, Arya’s older and more traditionally feminine sister who’s held captive by various noble families throughout the series.
“She’s going through all these changes, and yet she has to still look like a child and cut her hair short and look completely different to how she’s feeling inside,” Turner said of Williams. “I think she really envied me because I got to wear the dresses and have nice makeup and nice hair. And I wanted the trousers and the boyish clothes!”
Watch Williams discuss her “Game of Thrones” wardrobe with “60 Minutes” alongside Isaac Hempstead Wright, her co-star and onscreen brother:
- Read more:
- Here’s a complete guide to all the meaningful reunions on the season 8 premiere episode of ‘Game of Thrones’
- Arya’s flirtatious moment on the ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 premiere has fans swooning
- 13 details you might have missed on the new season premiere of ‘Game of Thrones’
- Sophie Turner shuts down a ‘Game of Thrones’ fan trying to discredit Sansa’s smarts