- ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced on Wednesday that they have decided to take a ‘step back’ from royal life.
- The couple announced in an Instagram post: “We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.”
- Naturally, Twitter responded with memes following the couple’s announcement.
- Here’s a roundup of reactions that took the internet by storm following the news of “Megxit.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Earlier today the Duke and Duchess of Sussex – who you probably know better as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle – posted an Instagram claiming they’d be stepping back from their royal duties and splitting their time between the United Kingdom and North America.
Needless to say, royals watchers, and pretty much everyone on Twitter, was shooketh.
The Chicago Tribune tweeted the news of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s step back from royal life with a hilarious nod to Markle’s alma mater, Northwestern University.
Northwestern graduate moving closer to home after spending time abroad https://t.co/TZ18eIOXdQ
— Chicago Tribune (@chicagotribune) January 8, 2020
Several people shared clever depictions of Meghan and Prince Harry’s departure.
meghan and harry leaving that dusty palace pic.twitter.com/8NNkwwug1v
— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) January 8, 2020
Meghan and Prince Harry walking out the palace like… pic.twitter.com/eG570Unr3c
— Global Grind (@GlobalGrind) January 8, 2020
Harry & Meghan writing that IG post like pic.twitter.com/y8DHncjD8F
— Christina Grace (@C_GraceT) January 8, 2020
“Harry will choose the monarchy over Meghan”
Prince Harry: pic.twitter.com/6gB6UUPX8U
— ???? (@HakunaTheFckNot) January 8, 2020
Other people took to Twitter to share their predictions of Markle and Prince Harry living life in the US, imagining Harry trying to pay his own taxes and fix his own meals.
a sitcom where Meghan teaches Harry how to do workforce things such as using Turbotax & meal prepping & filling out a W-1, please
— Delia Cai (@delia_cai) January 8, 2020
meghan and harry gonna taste NYC rent and move back
— Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) January 8, 2020
NEW NEIGHBOR: Meghan who?
MEGHAN [after a long look into the distance]: Meghan Skywalker
— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) January 8, 2020
Meghan and Harry should get a Patreon
— Sarah Hagi (@geekylonglegs) January 8, 2020
People pointed out hilarious metaphors for Prince Harry and Meghan’s new phase of life.
Very brave of Harry and Meghan to pick January as the month to go freelance.
— Daisy Buchanan (@NotRollergirl) January 8, 2020
Several Twitter users mockingly imagined how the British public and would react to the royal couple’s departure.
British public: weLL IF MEGHAN AND HARRY don't like beiNG IN the PUBLIC EYE they should STEP BACK
*Meghan and Harry step back*
British public: pic.twitter.com/OZMGLExBVF
— Leanne Sturrock (@leannesturrock) January 8, 2020
The British public: *judges and hates on Harry and Meghan for breathing*
Harry and Meghan: we’re done with the royal family!
The British public: pic.twitter.com/pXaJDafUvm
— yas (@Adoomies1) January 8, 2020
Others rejoiced over the “Megxit” news.
All Americans rn re: Meghan Markle and Harry pic.twitter.com/MRidrfx3GY
— Ashly Perez (@itsashlyperez) January 8, 2020
Twitter was so bad until Meghan and Harry quit their family and now it’s so good!! This was the emotional support golden retriever we all needed pic.twitter.com/S2ogYh5tVm
— Laura Bassett (@LEBassett) January 8, 2020
- Read more:
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just announced they’re taking a ‘step back’ from the royal family after months of rumors
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will focus on their new charity as they ‘step back’ from royal life, but they haven’t said what it will do yet
- 15 photos that show how meeting a royal has changed through the years
- Harry and Meghan’s photo of baby Archie wearing an adorable bobble hat sent a New Zealand charity’s sales into overdrive