- Fox News
- During an appearance on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Wednesday, Megyn Kelly called for NBC News to organize an outside investigation into sexual harassment at the company.
- Her comments come in the wake of Ronan Farrow’s new book, “Catch and Kill,” which details sexual harassment allegations against former “Today” co-host Matt Lauer.
- Kelly most recently worked at NBC News as the host of “Megyn Kelly Today.” Her contract was terminated last year after she made controversial remarks about blackface.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In her first appearance on Fox News since leaving the network nearly two years ago, Megyn Kelly took a swipe at NBC News – which fired her last year.
Kelly appeared on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Wednesday, and discussed the sexual harassment allegations against former “Today” co-host Matt Lauer, which are detailed in Ronan Farrow’s new book “Catch and Kill.”
She echoed what she had said when the allegations first came to light while she was still working at NBC News, that the network should conduct an outside investigation into the matter. Instead, the matter has only been looked into internally.
“There needs to be an outside investigation into this company,” Kelly said. “They investigated themselves. That doesn’t work. Fox News had an outside investigator. CBS News had an outside investigator. NPR, the NFL. This is how it’s done.”
She added: “The question is open about whether they put dollars ahead of decency. About whether they were more interested in protecting their star anchor than they were in protecting the women of the company.”
For context, Kelly had a turbulent and short-lived career at NBC News, which she moved to when her contract at Fox News expired in January 2017. (Kelly’s exit at Fox News also coincided with the Roger Ailes scandal, in which the longtime CEO of the network stepped down after being accused of a pattern of sexual harassment. Kelly told private investigators she too was harassed by Ailes.)
Kelly started her own daytime show at NBC in September 2017, which was a ratings disaster. She was fired after making controversial comments about the use of blackface in October 2018, but it was widely reported even before then that NBC News had perhaps regretted her hiring.
Kelly seemed ready to return to TV during her interview with Carlson.
“I’ll get back on that horse soon because this has been fun!” Kelly said. “So I’ll probably get back out there but for now I’m still enjoying my day to day life with my family and friends.”
NBC News didn’t immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
- Read more:
- The new trailer for ‘Bombshell’ shows more spitting-image casting choices dramatizing the fall of Roger Ailes
- 21 celebrities and politicians who have been criticized for wearing blackface
- Charlize Theron is the spitting image of Megyn Kelly in the new trailer for ‘Bombshell,’ the movie about the Roger Ailes harassment scandal
- NBC News parts ways with ‘Today’ host Megyn Kelly after reaching separation agreement