During their Friday morning show, MSNBC hosts Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough responded to President Donald Trump’s Thursday-morning Twitter attack in which he name-called and insulted the cable news personalities.
The hosts, who announced their engagement last month, described being inundated with messages of support from friends, acquaintances, and even foreign leaders.
“We had so many people saying, ‘Hey, hope you’re okay,” Scarborough said. “We had calls and texts and emails.”
Scarborough said that the impact of Trump’s tweets fully sunk in when world leaders began reaching out.
“We got, actually, a lot of texts, a lot of calls from ambassadors, leaders we’ve known through the years across the world just expressing shock,” Scarborough said.
Both Scarborough and Brzezinski said they were not particularly impacted by the attack, which they view as petty, but said they are worried for the country.
“My father just passed away, my mother had two heart attacks, my daughter just lost a friend,” Brzezinski said. “Those are the things I’m really worried about. Those are the things that really deeply impact me and leave me thinking about at night.”
Brzezinski described the 24 hours since Trump’s attack as “fascinating and frightening and really sad for our country.” She added that she is “very concerned about what this, once again, reveals about the president of the United States.”
Trump bashed Brzezinski and Scarborough in a Twitter outburst on Thursday, saying Brzezinski once visited his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago, while she was “bleeding from a face-lift.”