- Law enforcement officials said Mukhammadzoir Kadirov, a 32-year-old from Uzbekistan, was no longer a person of interest following Tuesday’s deadly attack in Manhattan. Kadirov was never named a suspect in the investigation, but was previously wanted for questioning.
Law enforcement agencies are no longer seeking a second person of interest in connection with Tuesday’s terror attack in lower Manhattan that left eight people dead.
The FBI and New York Police Department previously identified Mukhammadzoir Kadirov, a 32-year-old from Uzbekistan, as a person of interest; however, did not name him as a suspect at the time, NBC 4 reported.
The alert comes a day after Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, a 29-year-old immigrant from Uzbekistan, used a rented Home Depot truck to plow through cyclists and pedestrians on a bike path on Manhattan’s west side. Saipov eventually crashed into a school bus and exited the vehicle holding two imitation guns.
Saipov reportedly left a note in the vehicle saying the attack was conducted in the name of the terrorist group ISIS and shouted “Allahu akbar,” or “God is great” in Arabic. Saipov was shot in the abdomen by a police officer and treated for his injuries.
Saipov had planned the attack for several weeks, according to John Miller, the NYPD’s deputy commissioner for intelligence and counterterrorism.
Sources said that Saipov was pleased with the attack and was unapologetic, according to CBS News.