- Westend61 / Getty
- An Instagram influencer left a furious review on a restaurant’s Yelp page after they weren’t offered a discount.
- The review, posted on the subreddit r/trashy, showed they gave one star even though they said the food was “delicious.”
- The influencer, whose name was redacted in the screenshot posted to Reddit, said she told the manager that she had 11,000 Instagram followers, but was shocked to find when the bill arrived “there was literally no discount at all.”
- Insider was unable to verify the post but, if legitimate, trauma therapist Shannon Thomas told Insider it could be explained by a dark personality with a bruised ego.
- “Reality hit this ‘influencer’ when they were denied what they believed their online position afforded them,” she said. “Narcissistic tendencies run rampant among influencers who fail to see the limitations of their branding reach.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
One furious influencer left a Yelp review when they were not offered special treatment at a restaurant. A screenshot was posted on the subreddit r/trashy.
After saying the calamari, spaghetti alle vongoli, and gnocchi were all delicious, the reviewer still gave the restaurant just one star because of the “cheap management” not giving them a discount.
“I told [the manager] it was some of the best Italian food I’ve had and I told her I’m going to post about it on Instagram where I have over 11 thousand followers,” the review says. “I thought that she would be greatful [sic] for the free advertising but when the check came there was no discount at all.”
The influencer thought “at least one of the entrees would be taken off” and when the full bill came, they decided they would never step foot inside the place again.
“Which is a shame because the food was very good. The manager needs to understand how to treat customers.”
This experience wasn't a one-off
It's part of the influencer lifestyle to receive meals, experiences, and products for free in return for publicity. But it's usually agreed on beforehand, and there have been many instances of influencers being publicly shamed for daring to ask for freebies on the spot.
One commenter on the subreddit said they were yelled at by a woman at the brewery they worked in because she wanted free beers due to her "certified" Yelp reviewer status.
"She told me, and I quote: 'Well, I just thought, you know, I can make or break your brewery with my review,'" they wrote. "She didn't end up buying the cans of beer and I just took them home."
Another person said they work in a hotel which costs upwards of $300 per night.
"We tell self-described 'influencers' to get f---ed," they said.
Trauma therapist Shannon Thomas, author of "Healing from Hidden Abuse," told Insider there's more than simple delusion going on here. The story highlights a dark personality trait that can be seen in influencers who are on the more entitled end of the spectrum.
Social media has created both world-famous influencers and micro-influencers who can use fame and following to their advantage. But some believe their online status will always translate to real-world benefits. In reality, Thomas said, the restaurant manager was correct to thank the influencer for the earned good review and nothing more.
"Reality hit this 'influencer' when they were denied what they believed their online position afforded them," she said. "Narcissistic tendencies run rampant among influencers who fail to see the limitations of their branding reach."
Narcissistic rage is fierce and unrelenting
If an over-exaggerated ego is fed with a daily dose of online attention - likes and comments - this can culminate in a "disconnect of realistic expectations."
"The bad restaurant review stemmed from a bruised ego and is likely connected to what is commonly known as a 'narcissistic injury,'" Thomas said. "This occurs when a toxic person's reaction is grossly inflated in light of the actual offense."
Nothing makes a narcissist more furious than if they feel they've been disrespected. Anything or anyone that goes against their beliefs and expectations is seen as a direct attack, and will suffer the wrath of narcissistic rage.