On September 11, Carlos Munoz Portal, 37, was found dead in his car with multiple gunshot wounds on a dirt road within a community just outside Mexico City.
Munoz was in the area taking photos for work – he was scouting filming locations for the fourth season of the hit Netflix series “Narcos.” Munoz had also worked as a location scout on films including “Spectre” and “Sicario.”
While the circumstances of Munoz’s death remain unclear, the volume of criminal activity and organizations in that part of Mexico pose a threat to those who work there.
The actor and “Narcos” star Pedro Pascal recently spoke to TMZ about Munoz’s death, calling it “tragic.” Pascal also said that the show couldn’t continue until the cast and crew are safe.
“We can’t do it if it’s not safe,” he said. “We’re talking about lives.”
He added: “If they want to do it, they’ll figure it out in a safe way.”
Season three of “Narcos” debuted on the streaming service earlier this month. Authorities have reportedly had trouble figuring out what happened to Munoz because there is a lack of witnesses. It’s likely that production on could move back to Colombia, where it was originally filmed.